Hagen??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mazdaman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my journey for the new tank has reached a new fork in the road. Initially I was only worried about budget for the tank and stand, which put bigals in the front due to their stingray (moneysaver) stands. Well after looking at the hagen tanks and stands I think I'm leaning towards them. They have a little more depth than a 55gal which is something I wanted but my wife didn't want the 18" depth typically seen on say a 75 gal. Anyways the question I have is does anyone have any info, good or bad, they could share regarding these tanks. The tank I'm looking at is 48x16x20. The top of the aquarium itself has no frame... ...the "glo-light" canopy actually sits around the top of the tank. Is it going to be strong enough without a frame? I would imagine that hagen wouldn't build a tank that wasn't structurally sound but I thought I'd check. thanks in advance

I've been browsing Hagen and I couldn't find a tank larger than their 29. Can you post a link of the one you found? I can't imagine that large a tank without a top frame.

No clue. I can only guess that the canopy A-3560 contains a frame that fits round the top of the tank.

Personally, i wouldn't do it. I run away from any 'proprietary' stuff like Eclipse's, because if something needs replacing, its usually expensive...not to mention the initial cost is higher than a 'normal' tank.

Amazing...when I logged into Hagen, I picked US and didn't get any of these??? Since there are similiar sizes (they all seem to be manufactured by All-Glass), why not go for one with the frame.

Seems to have what they call "Strengthening Bars", which look like 90' corner braces that run up from the corners of the bottom frame, re-enforcing the seams.
I'm not sure if I would trust it without seeing it up close and full, especially on a larger tank. I'd be afraid that accumulated stress over time would bow and burst the front or back.

that was my main concern too... ...also if the cover did have a frame built in, what happens when I remove it to pwc and tank maintenance? I compared it to the "allglass" tanks at bigals and in person the hagen looks much nicer. Cleaner corners and thicker glass too. The only thig is the fact that there is no frame or brace at the top. The reason I wanted this tank instead of one with a frame is that i like the canopy that fits on top. The two lights are hidden inside and it will hide the filter hoses more. also there is a neat little feature that allows you to install an auto feeder inside the canopy again keeping it totally hidden. thanks for the replys and interesting that us has different tanks than canada....

I just sent hagen a massage asking them to explain those tanks with and without canopy. Will post the response when i get one (3-5 days)

I have a 55 gal Hagen tank which came with a plastic canopy. When my cat broke through the canopy to go fishing it was expensive to replace because of the odd measurements Hagen sometimes has. Darn cat....

If their using thicker than normal glass, 3/8" or 1/2" instead of the normal 1/4" glass, then I could see tanks up to perhaps 75-90 gals being safe and reliable. I still would like atleast a moulding over the edge of the glass to help prevent possible chipping.

johnson, did your aquarium have no "frame" at the top. was it the "light-glo" canopy? Does it bow? What are the dimensions of the tank? I'm not concerned with how much replacement parts cost so that isn't a factor. Thanks all

Well I asked the clerk at the store and they claim that because the glass is thicker than "normal" it isn't a problem. I did take the canopy off and try pulling the tank apart from front to back and couldn't even make it bow... ...I probably do not create the same amount of force as 60+gal of water pushing outwards but I think it would be just fine. Plus after thinking it through, hagen would be dumb to keep making a design if it can't hold the amount of water it's built for. thanks again for all the replys and I will still post whatever the hagen reps respond with...

I have been using Hagen tanks for years, and am currently running about 40 of them. Their glass thickness is greater than normal, and their quality of construction is exceptional, too.

Back
Top Bottom