Hagen Fluval Surface Skimmer - What is heck is wrong?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I just bought the Hagen Fluval Surface Skimmer and hooked it up as directed to my Fluval 304. It sits in the water and does NOTHING. What is the purpose of it? It really seems like something is wrong, because it is doing nothing to the surface of the water and it looks like the part on top should be spinning. The 304 is pumping away fine. I tried to show it in pictures, its on the right.

After messing around with it I can get it to take in air with the water it takes in. Isn't that bad for the filter though? It does shoot out air bubbles from the output hose now, which I guess is a good thing. But it makes the filter about twice as loud. Anyone with any experience?

First off, please wait 24 hours before bumping your thread.

Now, the top doesn't spin, and it doesn't suck in air. All it does is help skim the thin layer of protein off the surface of teh water. Nothing more. If you don't have a heavy protein slick, you won't notice it doing much.

In planted tanks it'll also help trap floating leaves for easy removal.

Is it a problem if mine is sucking in air? The black pole on the top allows you to adjust how much water goes in, turn it too much and the top sinks, too little and the top floats and no water goes in. If you get it in the middle where water is being sucked in and the surface is being skimmed, air is also coming in at the same time. Is this bad for the filter? It makes the output tube periodically shoot out air bubbles, which I guess would be good for the tank as long as its not damaging my filter or the bacteria in it in the process.

What happens if you adjust it so air doesn't go in, and check on the surface after a day? As long as the bottom of the entry is close to the water surface i'll bet you see a difference (I DIY'd same concept twice, works well).

I think I am just going to take it off and go back to the old intake tube, too many problems with the skimmer and noise for it to be worth it IMO.

FWIW, I don't think it should make noise. If you adjust it correctly it should probably be set and forget.

It makes a sucking noise as the air/water mixture goes into the skimmer part.

"...it doesn't suck in air." -- malkore

Sounds misadjusted. See first suggestion if you're still playing with it. HTH.

I have tried like everything, the only adjustment is turning this one black rod and I've tried it at a couple settings. None are very good.

Ahhh, I just removed it and my tank is back to complete silence. So nice!

Back
Top Bottom