Hard water spots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

handb94

Aquarium Advice Regular
There are hard water spots (I think) around the top of my acrylic tank. It goes away when wet but comes right back when it dries. I tried just scrubbing it off but that didn't work. Is there any way to get the spots off? Thanks in advance.

Try vinegar & hot water .... although I find that eventually hard water permanently etch glass & acrylics so there is always a fine white film which disappear when wet (but comes back when dry.)

Alrighty. Thanks I will try that. As long as the water is at that level you won't be able to tell it's there, I guess.

I am a saltie and once the SW goes in, I can scrape it off with a razor. I do have well water and the white vinegar will clean it off, if soaked long enough.

I wouldnt use a razor on acrylic. I use the water and vinegar method as well as using undissolved salt and a wrag or paper towel to scrub the spots with. Since I have never had an acrylic tank I don't know if this method will scratch it or not.

Agreed, don't use a metal scraper on an acrylic tank!

Back
Top Bottom