Has anyone tried to make covers from a nylon fishnet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone tried to make tank opening covers from a nylon fish net? Eggcrate blocks your light. glass holds in heat and affects co2 transfer so I have been trying to think of something good to use. You should be able make a frame from stainless steal wire or plastic and put nylon fishnet over it like is used in throw nets? Can anyone think of a problem with this?

I think that would block your light more than eggcrate would....eggcrate diffuses the light but still lets the majority of it through.

Hara: I can not think any possible way that nylon fishing line could block light more than eggcrate. It is clear an only a fraction the thickness of eggcrate.

Hara may be thinking of a different kind of netting.

I think you're talking about something like this:
http://www.netop-til-leg.dk/nettyper.html :?:

as schoeplein pointed out, as long as you're lights are off set enough to keep from melting the nylon, it should work fine. You'll need to have it anchored securly to whatevver you make the frame from in order to keep it from simply slipping into the tank.

BillyZ: That is not it. That is made of nylon string. The net I am referring to is basically fishing line made into a net with 3/8" holes. I have a 5 ft bait casting net that would be ideal if I could find the net without the weights etc.

oh, your original post said fish net....now you say fishing line...I am sure that would make a difference, or maybe I cannot imagine what you are talking about.

Why not just make a metal/wooden frame or something drill holes in it and thread it yourself, or if you have a small brother or a small kid they'd do it for you :)

Back
Top Bottom