Having difficult time finding a dual light strip for my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suprdave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Currently have this tank: Aqueon 36 Gallon Bow Aquarium Hood Combo - Sale - Fish - PetSmart

It came with a single bulb light strip, and I am wanting to upgrade it to a dual bulb light strip. Unfortunately I am having a difficult time finding one that would fit. For example, Petsmart sells this one that is 30" long: Twin-Tube Fluorescent Strip Lights - Lighting & Hoods - Fish - PetSmart

... But the current strip I have is 29" long. This is not going to fit in the space designed for it on the hood.

Any ideas where I can find one that is going to fit this thing? I am hoping someone somewhere makes a dual bulb light strip that is 29" long and 4.25" wide.

I doubt you'll find a direct replacement. Your best bet, IMO, is getting a stand alone fixture. If you really want something covering the tank, glass tops work well under fixtures. Are you doing a reef or planted tank?

This is a planted tank. The plants have been doing somewhat well for a couple months now, but are starting to welt and I have a feeling it's because I only have a single 20W plant bulb for a 36 gallon tank.

I've never seen glass tops before. Are they more versatile with the light fixtures in that they don't have grooves for the strips?

Yeah... here's a picture of my tank with a glass top on it that I had to hold a bag while I floated it. They also have a second part with a hinge... but I just put this on to float... all my tanks are topless
img_1307352_0_87e5b85d59a0d4170d7ae739bc6d1d42.jpg

img_1307352_1_d8788786166e7b2732dbf0c22d753114.jpg

Thanks! Would you mind pointing me to where you bought your top from? Google shopping for bow front glass tops isn't doing a whole lot for me.

Also I noticed your light fixture is sitting over the open water. I suppose you have a glass covering over the bulbs in the strip itself?

Back
Top Bottom