Having issue with my first canister filter - Penn Plax Cascade 1000

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michael1234

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Although I am not new to fish hobby, I am new to canister filter. Didn't opt in because of some flooding stories, but eventually decided to pick one to save the back space to wall.

The cascade 1000 was on sale on amazon so I picked one. After setting up everything, first issue was the priming. It screwed me hard for an hour. However, after a short break, it just worked.

The real challenge arrived after that: pump rattling noise.

At first I thought it was air because for a few moments, I didn't hear the pump at all, but when it stablized I can hear the constant pump noise, I guess it's the rattling, but not sure if it's the impeller or air. Impeller looks fine though.

I then tried to get rid of air, by tilting the filter. When it reached certain angle, water came out. This part tricked me because I don't know if a canister filter is supposed to be completely sealed, or has air gap from top.

While I couldn't find the information online, it did run well without any issue. When standing there in a baking plate, no leakage from anywhere. So right now the only issue is the pump rattling noise, and I have no idea what caused it.

Therefore I am here to ask for help. Does hope someone who are canister filter expert can give me some details or more information regarding my problem. Much appreciated.:thanks:

Although I am not new to fish hobby, I am new to canister filter. Didn't opt in because of some flooding stories, but eventually decided to pick one to save the back space to wall.

The cascade 1000 was on sale on amazon so I picked one. After setting up everything, first issue was the priming. It screwed me hard for an hour. However, after a short break, it just worked.

The real challenge arrived after that: pump rattling noise.

At first I thought it was air because for a few moments, I didn't hear the pump at all, but when it stablized I can hear the constant pump noise, I guess it's the rattling, but not sure if it's the impeller or air. Impeller looks fine though.

I then tried to get rid of air, by tilting the filter. When it reached certain angle, water came out. This part tricked me because I don't know if a canister filter is supposed to be completely sealed, or has air gap from top.

While I couldn't find the information online, it did run well without any issue. When standing there in a baking plate, no leakage from anywhere. So right now the only issue is the pump rattling noise, and I have no idea what caused it.

Therefore I am here to ask for help. Does hope someone who are canister filter expert can give me some details or more information regarding my problem. Much appreciated.:thanks:
Hello, I have a couple of 1000s & a 1200 running for a couple of yrs now. There are a few reasons that your canister is rattling.
1=When you checked impeller did you make sure that shaft was seated correctly in bushings? There are 2 one on top & one on bottom. If not seated correctly the shaft will wiggle & impeller will rub.
2=air still in canister. I usually have to tilt side to side, front to back & I do this several times to get all air out.
3= loose connection or improper seating of hoses especially the intake hose. This allows air to be sucked into canister causing a rattle. Make sure the cut on hoses are smooth & straight w/no jagged edges & pushed all the way past hose barbs.
When I start my canister I fill first w/temp matched conditioned water the secure top. Then I start syphon w/intake hose into a bucket. I close intake valve & hookup to canister. Plug in canister, open intake first & then output & it flows. If flow is slow I then use primmer.
These are some of the problems that I've had when I first started w/this canister. Hopefully this helps you!!!!!

Image.jpgImage%20(1).jpg

Hey M.J. thank you so much for the input! That definitely helped me as a canister filter noob!

The impeller was "sucked" in so honestly I cannot tell if it sits correctly in position. The shaft was in the rubber hat and was tucked in the center of the detachable plastic cover on the pump/top. I also ordered a replacement impeller to test so I will update on that tomorrow.

I just checked my filter cuz of the slow flow. I used a coarse sponge to protect the platy/guppy fry in intake pipe and it got stuck. This time, I no longer noticed as water leaking/dripping when tilting the filter, so last time could be some water residue hiding somewhere. However, I still noticed between top gasket and filter pump/top there is air. Also, when I took the pump/top off I noticed some water coming out from the horizontal seam, shown in the picture. Is this normal or a sign of leaking?

Sorry the questions are all over the places cuz my thoughts are messed up so I typed when I came with any question that popped into my head. But I have to say it's a different experience and I am enjoying it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 3.34.13 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 3.34.13 PM.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 206
The seam you are talking about I believe is just a motor cover thats not water tight. If you look closely where your arrow is you'll see 2 tiny slits on both sides for water to drain.
To see if impeller is working properly heres a little trick, fill sink or bucket half way w/water, set motor head vertical on end in water so water covers intake & output fittings & impeller hole. Make sure fittings & impeller hole are covered at least a couple inches of water.
Aim fittings down so it hits bottom of sink or you'll get wet. Then plug in. If impeller is good it will be quite while running.
Hey M.J. thank you so much for the input! That definitely helped me as a canister filter noob!

The impeller was "sucked" in so honestly I cannot tell if it sits correctly in position. The shaft was in the rubber hat and was tucked in the center of the detachable plastic cover on the pump/top. I also ordered a replacement impeller to test so I will update on that tomorrow.

I just checked my filter cuz of the slow flow. I used a coarse sponge to protect the platy/guppy fry in intake pipe and it got stuck. This time, I no longer noticed as water leaking/dripping when tilting the filter, so last time could be some water residue hiding somewhere. However, I still noticed between top gasket and filter pump/top there is air. Also, when I took the pump/top off I noticed some water coming out from the horizontal seam, shown in the picture. Is this normal or a sign of leaking?

Sorry the questions are all over the places cuz my thoughts are messed up so I typed when I came with any question that popped into my head. But I have to say it's a different experience and I am enjoying it.
I do this whenever I clean gunk out of motor. Completely safe motor is insulted. Image%20(2).jpg

I like this idea. I will test it tomorrow when the impeller is coming in.
Still within first week of use so still treat the filter like a baby. Time for it to grow up :lol:

I like this idea. I will test it tomorrow when the impeller is coming in.
Still within first week of use so still treat the filter like a baby. Time for it to grow up [emoji38]
If interested here's a little info that may save you some money.
Pic 1&2= don't know if you noticed but the media trays fit a little loose compared to other canisters. Don't know if this is by flaw or design. It causes water to bypass media even though it's clean. I've been lightly packing a strip of poly-fill quilt batting around center tray. This allows water to still pass media but it catches anything that might end up back in tank.
Pic 3= this is the quilt batting I get from walmart. A 7ft x 9ft roll cost around 12$. I also use it in trays instead of prefab floss pads that last 1-2 cleanings. They are stronger so you can rinse without falling apart & no little fibers floating in tank. Simply cut to fit.
Pic 4= is what I used to use for bio media untill I switched to seachem matrix. 2 blocks sponge form petco 5$. 4pak pot scrubbers from dollar store 1$. You can one or other or together.
Remember don't over pack you media trays especially the ones for bio. It will slow down efficiency of filter. 467555312.jpeg1976977735.jpg1489022900.jpg1129755075.jpg

Thanks. I heard about the water bypass issue but haven’t got a time to deal with that yet... I tested the filter today when replacing the impeller, and noticed no leaking anyway this time, so it must be some extra water trapped somewhere, not from internally. I actually ordered another filter and noticed the new one doesn’t have water coming out from the seams I pointed but they both work just fine with some rattling noise... the new one has a bit quieter noise.

Since my impeller arrived today, I still used the old filter and installed it, I can clearly noticed a decrease on pump noiseafter installation. However, this canister filter is still very loud to me. Maybe I have a different standard to define “quiet” but when I was using internal filters, there was no pump noise at all. I usually put the output the same height as water surface which makes the filter pretty much silent.

But this canister filter has a humming sound, which I can tell it’s been working fine, no rattling noise, no bubbling noise. It’s just still quite loud and noticeable even when the lower cabinet doors are closed and 3 feet away. Is this normal? Do you have the same sound level? Many reviewers on Amazon praised its “quietness” so I’m worrying that mine is still a lemon. Not sure if I should go back to internals cuz so far lots of troubles with canister filters.:(

Sorry, can't say about humming. I have 1x90gal, 1x75, 2x55 & 2x20. I don't hear a hum but I do hear water. Might I suggest maybe placing a towel under canister to see if vibration is problem. I would even try an insulated box.
Thanks. I heard about the water bypass issue but haven’t got a time to deal with that yet... I tested the filter today when replacing the impeller, and noticed no leaking anyway this time, so it must be some extra water trapped somewhere, not from internally. I actually ordered another filter and noticed the new one doesn’t have water coming out from the seams I pointed but they both work just fine with some rattling noise... the new one has a bit quieter noise.

Since my impeller arrived today, I still used the old filter and installed it, I can clearly noticed a decrease on pump noiseafter installation. However, this canister filter is still very loud to me. Maybe I have a different standard to define “quiet” but when I was using internal filters, there was no pump noise at all. I usually put the output the same height as water surface which makes the filter pretty much silent.

But this canister filter has a humming sound, which I can tell it’s been working fine, no rattling noise, no bubbling noise. It’s just still quite loud and noticeable even when the lower cabinet doors are closed and 3 feet away. Is this normal? Do you have the same sound level? Many reviewers on Amazon praised its “quietness” so I’m worrying that mine is still a lemon. Not sure if I should go back to internals cuz so far lots of troubles with canister filters.:(

But do you hear the operation sound of the filter pump? Or is it dead silent that you don’t hear anything even when putting your head next to it? Two filters in a row with the same loudness don’t feel right...

Yeah there's a slight hum. I believe my air pumps are louder.
I like canisters. You can customize your media, adds water volume to tank & if needed It can go a month+ without maintenance(I like 2wks). The only problem I have w/cascade canisters is their rating. A canister should be able to turn over 4-5x water volume of tank an hr. Cascade 1000 is 265gph an hr & claims to handle 100gal tank.
But do you hear the operation sound of the filter pump? Or is it dead silent that you don’t hear anything even when putting your head next to it? Two filters in a row with the same loudness don’t feel right...

Yes and my main motivation to move to canister is exactly what you just said: lower maintenance. I didn’t think the bypassed water was an issue but I think so now. My water is full of tiny floating things when looking closely and hopefully the surrounding media can fix it.

The sound level of cascade filter is indeed on the high level to me. To pump up so much water to a higher distance is indeed requiring more power consumption than HOBs and internals. I checked almost all videos on YouTube and found a few videos that have somehow clear filter sound on the background and the humming sound is very similar to mine. Including your experience I can safely claim zero issue of my filter now.:)

Next move is the improvement. Starting from adding surrounding media. And retrieve my lost coarse sponge that got sucked in...

Glad things working.
Yes and my main motivation to move to canister is exactly what you just said: lower maintenance. I didn’t think the bypassed water was an issue but I think so now. My water is full of tiny floating things when looking closely and hopefully the surrounding media can fix it.

The sound level of cascade filter is indeed on the high level to me. To pump up so much water to a higher distance is indeed requiring more power consumption than HOBs and internals. I checked almost all videos on YouTube and found a few videos that have somehow clear filter sound on the background and the humming sound is very similar to mine. Including your experience I can safely claim zero issue of my filter now.:)

Next move is the improvement. Starting from adding surrounding media. And retrieve my lost coarse sponge that got sucked in...

Back
Top Bottom