Heater for 100-110 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saradomin

Aquarium Advice Regular
Would a Eheim Jager 250 work on an aquarium of this size? My house stays above 60F throughout the year.

I'd probably go with 2 heaters, 2x 200w heaters will probably work fine. 2x of the 250w eheim jagers would go good also.

I was thinking of mounting a 300w horizontally in the center. What are your thoughts on this, aesthetically?

Check the instructions, some heaters require a certain orientation, some do not.

If you want 78 degree water and your house goes down to 60, one 300 may be a bit light, at lot depends on the top and lights -- open vs. closed top (evaporative cooling), type of light and how long (e.g. florescents in a hood heat a lot more than LED's hung above).

The heat loss from conduction through the glass is directly proportional to the temperature difference. So a 78 degree tank in 74 degree room needs a quarter the heat (for conductive loss) as a 78 degree tank in a 62 degree room.

I agree with the comments above about 2 heaters, there's a lot to be said for that -- if one fails-cold you have at least some backup, and if one fails-hot, the smaller wattage will take a lot longer to kill your fish.

Ok, so my 125 gallon that I'm going to acquire soon is around 23 inches in height. The Eheim heaters that I want are supposed to be mounted vertically.

Does any one have the actual dimensions for a 300w, 250w, and a 200w Eheim? I've have found varying numbers online.

Back
Top Bottom