Heater makeing a poping noise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am setting up a 20 long and put my RODI water and my salt in the tank for a desperate atempt to dissolve the salt faster, well my water was at 60° F while in the buckets and i turned the heater (an aqueon 150W) to 76 and it is making this poping noise? Should i turn it off?

Its making louder pops now, and it sounds like its gonna explode! I turned it off so that if it is anything dangerous than someone can tell me what it is before its to late. Also lots of small pops too.

Last edited:
I would say toss it. Electricity and water don't mix. If it's cracked it's a time bomb.
Although I have seen bubbles on mine when initially submerging it.

I would say toss it. Electricity and water don't mix. If it's cracked it's a time bomb.
Although I have seen bubbles on mine when initially submerging it.

Its only got it 6 days ago, and this its first time in water... I would hate to toss 45$ heater.

I am by no means an expert. But it's defiantly the electrician in me speaking up. Can you take it back to the store.

If it was me $45 isn't worth getting blasted if you stick your hand into a love body of water.

A heater popping doesn't sound right.

That's live not love. You would feel the opposite of love.

I took the heater off the suction cups and it stopped making the noise, so i put it back on and it started up again. I did the same thing and the same result. I moved the cups and tried it, same result. Its now out the suction cups and laying in the open tank, its creating lots of heater waves too, any ideas?

The only time a heater would be dangerous us if the glass breaks and that only happens if there is a large temperature change or you physically crack it.

Heaters are protected so if there is a problem the internal fuse will stop the flow of electricity. It's brand new so I think the filament is getting worked in. This is the popping that you hear.

The temperature will slowly rise donor is ok. A heater will crack when it is piping hot and you put it in water even at room temperature.

The temperature will slowly rise donor is ok. A heater will crack when it is piping hot and you put it in water even at room temperature.

Ok good, i had it in there and then started raiseing the temp. I see a small amount of condensation inside, does that mean its cracked?

Do you see a crack ?
Heaters are sealed closed right to the top. If it is cracked it should be obvious.

Back
Top Bottom