Heater options for my 75 gallon...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenmaji

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need the heater(s) to be able to bring the water temperature up at a maximum of 12 degrees..
I would like 5 watts per gallon but they really dont make a 375 watt heater..
The LFS owner is trying to talk me into a 300 or 350..
I could get two 200 watt heaters..
Or I could get a 500 watt..
Any opinions?

the 2 200 watt would be more reliable, but more expensive. 350 would be good. the 500 would be better. so... id probably go with the 500

I use 2 - 200W as someone advised me here when I was planning my 75 gallon. It's worked out great having a heater on both sides of the tank and near both of my filter outlets. The temperature always remains constant throughout the tank.

Yup, the 2 heaters is a better option. As said before, the water temp will be steadier with having a heater on each side of the tank. And, if one breaks, your fish will have a backup that is already in the tank. It may have to work a little harder, but until you can get a replacement for it, the temp will be fine.

I use two 'Won Brothers 300watt Pro Heat IC Titanium' heaters on my 75gal tank, these are top of the line submersible heaters with external controls. I monitor them with two digital thermometers with remote sensors, one set high and one low in the water column at opposites end of the tank.
These are a little more than I actually need for my 75gal but I plan on upgrading to a 125-150gal next year, they will enable me to maintain up to a 30-35' tank vs room temp difference if needed.
Also by running two heaters if one goes out or haywire I will have enough time to notice an correct the problem without my fish freezing or boiling.

I too recommend two 200 - 250watt heaters for your tank.

Chile gave you great advice greenmagi. And, I think the Won pro titanium is the best on the market. :wink: I have them on most of my tanks.

Does everyone use more than one heater on there tanks above a certain size? or is it just recommended on tanks over a certain size?

No, there are no hard and fast rules for heating tanks of a certain size, or the number of heaters needed.
The use of two heaters is a recommendation learned in the school of frozen/baked fish.
Some with large tanks may just opt for a single 1000watt heater in their sump while others two 500watt, its a individual choice, but the use of two heaters is a smart move.

One thing to remember is careful monitoring of your tanks and fish on a daily basis is essential. You need to check your tanks temp everyday, more than once if possible in order to catch any problems promptly.
Good digital thermometers are inexspensive, accurate and reliable and I recommend'em.

Back
Top Bottom