Heater placement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beatking

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Years ago, when I was immersed in fish keeping, I had my heater placed in my 29 gallon tank vertical with the control above the water line. I am guessing this is incorrect. I currently see most if not all, placed on an angle totally submerged. Is this the correct acceptable method? Thank you and I have a 29 gal tank with the HOB filter on the back right corner. Again, thank you

Steve

Vertical is fine. Some people put them at 45° because they feel it gives them better heat distribution. Some people do it so the heater sits lower in the water, and then when they do a water change it doesnt sit out of the water and they dont have to turn it off. Whatever you preference, just not horizontal so that fish can't lie on it and burn themselves.

Make sure you have your heater where there is good flow. Unless its a tank with a built in sump, i position heaters near to the filter intake. It gets plenty of water flow there, warms the water before it goes through the filtration and then the output will distribute the warm water back into and around the tank. If the tank has a sump then it goes in the sump.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom