heater problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubbajay

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have recently set up a tropical tank. it measures 23inchx12x11.5. it came with a 50watt heater which i had in there for a while but it wasnt realy heating it up to temp. i went out yday and bought a 100w one and set it up. the same thing still seems to be happening. its set to 26 but the thermometer only goes up to about 19.i have put the thermometer in hot water to test it and it does go up. the red light on the heater comes on now and then so i guess the heater isnt faulty.i would be gratefull for some advice as im a begginer in fish keeping. the tank isnt fully stocked yet.when i first set it up i only left it for about a week then sdded 5 neons,6 guppys a weather loach(which i already had in a cold water tank) and a red crab. all the fish died except for the loach and crab which seem to be doing realy well. i realise i didnt leave it long enough to cycle. it has been set up well over a month now and i bought 5 guppys and a common sucker yday when i bought the heater. there still all alive but im worried about the water temp. i hope someone can help.

Moving to the general hardware forum.

Almost all heaters aren't properly calibrated, so you have to use an external thermometer to set them. The numbers listed on the dial are almost never accurate, so adjust the dial up/down based on your thermometer reading.

Back
Top Bottom