heater problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mountaindew

Aquarium Advice Regular
My heater went bad in my 100gal so I purchased 2 250 watt heaters.The water temp is 78.8,I have my heaters set to 80.The heater light will come on only for a minute then go off with no temp change.What could be causing this

Try unpluging them sometimes the sensors need reset...However it sounds like they sense that they need to boost the water temp then shurt off , or it could be that they are reading the the H20 temp you are set for .2* temp increase ... What brand are they perhaps calling the MFG to see if this is noraml for thier brand I suspect if it is both heaters this is noraml for that brand ... Do keep an eye on them to make sure they dont stick "on"

Sounds like normal behavior to me. Just because you set the thermostat at 80 doesn't mean that's the temp it'll keep. I've got VisiTherm Deluxes, and when I first plug them in, the light will come on for a minute or so. If the water temp is above the thermostat setting, it will then turn off. I keep my tank between 77 and 78, but last time I looked the heater are set to 82 or so. The exact number isn't correct, but it does keep a consistent temperature.

I am in the same situation as Kurt. I have 2 stealth visatherm 250 watt heaters in my 75 gallon tank set at 86 degrees and it keeps a constant temperature in my tank of 79.5 - 81 degrees. As long as it keeps a constant temperature you should be ok, just pay attention to the water temperature and make sure it does not stick.

Back
Top Bottom