heater questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dieanna

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank is fairly new this summer. I haven't needed a heater because it's been so hot, until now. I just bought one and haven't used one before. I have 2 questions:
1) What would be the ideal temperature for a tank with blue gouramis, mollies, cories, and red-eye tetras?
2) When it's time to do a water change do I need to shut it off and let it cool down before adding water? Also, wait 15 minutes before pluging it back in?
Thank you.

Ideal temp for most tropical community tanks is 77-82d. In regard to the water changes, it is good practice to turn them off however, with the more advanced titanium heaters it's not necessary. Glass heaters will crack under these conditions.

I don't turn mine off but I replace the water with new water of the same temp. If the water line is going to fall below the heater, then definately turn it off and let it cool down. Then before plugging it back in, wait about 10 minutes.

Hopefully you bough a true submersible. You can put that entirely below the waterline - so much so that it is still 100% underwater during a change.

I never turn mine off for changes. Maybe, as someone suggested, you should if the water temps are not close. However, I make sure they are close for the sake of the fish, and not the heater.

I 2nd koffee, buy a submersible, and have it below the level of your largest water change. Then you never have to deal with it. And the rising heated water off the heater will aid in tank circulation. Some of the newer ones have auto shut offs for when the water level gets too low.

And with this piece of advice I officially become an Aquarium Advice Addict!

Back
Top Bottom