Heater went crazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richiestang_78

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank heater has been touchy since I bought it, its a cheap Radiant brand heater. Anyway I go away for a few hours and come back to find my tank is at almost 90degrees F. I have the cover off and heater off trying to cool down the tank. Will this hurt my fish in anyway? The reg temp is usuall around 78-80

Depends on the fish; what do you have in there? Most tropicals can handle higher temps for short term. Do know if the temps jumped up quickly tho, there can be probs; high temps aren't as much a problem as sharp changes in temperature.

Look at the Won Pro Heats and Pro Heat II's. They cost a little more than the glass heaters, but they are extremely reliable. I don't think you'll have any losses since the temp didn't get really high and didn't stay up there for a long time. I would cool the tank back down slowly and watch for ich or other stress related diseases for a couple of weeks.

Yeah... I had some problems with cruddy cheap heaters a few months back. I swear by Tronics now (others swear by Ebo-Jagers, Titanium heaters, Visi-Therms). Tronics are safe and reliable. All 4 brands are well-reputed.

Back
Top Bottom