Heaters please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Etunes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just got some money and i want to buy some heaters in my tank. And i dont want the words Blow up, Short circuit, or fried attached to them. What brands should i get. And i need a good way to protect it so my cacellian dosent wrap around it and burn itself. Give a link if you can.

Marineland make some nice heaters that actually have a protective shield over them to keep fish from getting burned. I have a fluval heater in my tank and it does really well.

You won't find a 100% perfect heater. There are good ones though.

As much as people praise the stealth heaters, I've had 3 fail on me in the last year. My Hydor Theos have been rock solid for over 2 years now.

I just got a Fluval E-Series heater that's pretty sweet. It's a little bulky, but it's got an LCD screen that shows the temperature and the paperwork says it won't get stuck in the "On" position if it fails.

Some fish like to sit on the heater and they'll get burned. My raphael hid behind a heater and had a white burn on his head for a while. I just moved the heater away from the corner. A cage isn't necessary, but it might not be a bad idea if you have fish that sit in one spot for a while.

I have Hydor Theos for all my tanks. Every couple months petsmart puts them on sale and I get a $5 off coupon. :) I have bought them all that way. They are really nice. Top of the line in my opinion.

Some fish like to sit on the heater and they'll get burned. My raphael hid behind a heater and had a white burn on his head for a while. I just moved the heater away from the corner. A cage isn't necessary, but it might not be a bad idea if you have fish that sit in one spot for a while.

My cacellian will rap around it to hide. And my cacellian does not need to get burned. Severumguys sounds best with the protective casing. Thanks guys.

I would stray from the marineland heaters, the Stealth Pro line has had some problems lately. When I first started, I used the el-cheapo Top Fin brand heaters that PetSmart carries, they lasted me about two years in my freshy tanks without any problems until I took them down and moved to the salty side. They are cheap, but they work. Might be worth it to just keep one on hand just in case your main heater that you choose to use fails. HTH.

I would stray from the marineland heaters, the Stealth Pro line has had some problems lately. When I first started, I used the el-cheapo Top Fin brand heaters that PetSmart carries, they lasted me about two years in my freshy tanks without any problems until I took them down and moved to the salty side. They are cheap, but they work. Might be worth it to just keep one on hand just in case your main heater that you choose to use fails. HTH.

Good idea

Back
Top Bottom