Help choosing LED lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kalin0121

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 75 gallon marine aquarium with a small amount of coral. Mushrooms and polyps nothing fancy. I currently use compact fluorescent lighting. I am having a major problem with too much evaporation and it is ruining the room I keep the tank. In want to cover it with a glass top and upgrade to LED lighting. I have around 400$ to spend. Can anyone tell me the best reef capable LED lighting system for around 400-450$? Thanks for your help!

For value systems, and your size tank and budget, I have heard great things about these lights: reefbreeders

2 of them on your 75 would allow you to grow just about any coral.

Thanks!
reef breeders 120w bridgelux x2 vs Maxspect Razor R420R 160w.

The maxspect is a nice fixture. For your budget and the size of your tank, I think you will get better coverage out of the 2 reef breeders fixtures. If you went with the single maxspect, you might have to confine SPS to the middle of the tank, and grow less light loving corals to the outsides - which perfectly fine, just be aware that coral placement might be more of an issue.

Last edited:
Two buildmyled.com reef fixtures one at 45 and one at 75 and that should provide the PAR values that are needed. I will probably get the the same for my 100 gallon and put the sps's nearer the top.

Great thanks! I think I'll go with the 2 reef breeders.
I'm going to have to cover my tank due to too much evaporation. It's ruining the room the tank is in and as much as I love my tank it's not worth having water damage to my home. I was thinking of going with a glass top. Since led are not hot is ok to place the fixtures on top of the glass? Hanging is not an option due to soft wood from all the evaporation. (It's in a sunroom)

hmm, I think on the glass would not work. You could get a rack to hang them from that would mount to the back of your tank stand.

I have 2 reef breeders Cree fixtures and am happy with them. Few sps bleached out but I am convinced it was too much light too fast. At least I hope it was. I bought these ratchet hangers to hang my lights. Can mount a eye bolt in ceiling or cabinet above tank like mine. It is very easy to raise and lower. I would post pic but don't feel like getting up right now

Great thanks! I think I'll go with the 2 reef breeders.
I'm going to have to cover my tank due to too much evaporation. It's ruining the room the tank is in and as much as I love my tank it's not worth having water damage to my home. I was thinking of going with a glass top. Since led are not hot is ok to place the fixtures on top of the glass? Hanging is not an option due to soft wood from all the evaporation. (It's in a sunroom)

I was going to cover mine, too...but was told that with marine tanks, there needs to be adequate air exchange, and covering the tank to limit evaporation can be a bad thing...

I was going to cover mine, too...but was told that with marine tanks, there needs to be adequate air exchange, and covering the tank to limit evaporation can be a bad thing...

You are correct. There needs to be gas exchange at the surface. Might add a dehumidifier to the room or some well placed fans. Covering the tank to eliminate or reduce evaporation will just result in driving your PH down to unacceptable levels.

Back
Top Bottom