Help cleaning BioCube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crlomancer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Total aquarium rookie here, hoping for some help from the pros. I was recently given a BioCube (model 8A) that hasn't seen use in quite a while. The water was drained, but it wasn't cleaned out. Now it's pretty nasty.

I'm planning to clean it up for our Betta (and maybe a few guests). The bio balls are gross, and I ordered new ones and a compatible filter.

I've read that vinegar is a good cleaner for aquariums, but I can't get back into those 3 chambers at the back. Any tips for cleaning that out? I was considering a pressure washer on low, but don't know if that will break it.

Thanks for your help!

/facepalm

Seems obvious now. I'll steal one of my kids' old ones.

Any other tips, either for cleaning or care? I'll take anything I can get!

So much to learn. Better pace yourself. Cleaning and maintenance are really impacted by how you set up. Dirt and planted, gravel and fish, sand and loaches with a mix. Decide your destination and plan to make it happen.

So much to learn. Better pace yourself. Cleaning and maintenance are really impacted by how you set up. Dirt and planted, gravel and fish, sand and loaches with a mix. Decide your destination and plan to make it happen.
Spot on TMaier[emoji106]

Decide what you want, we will be here, we're all addicted![emoji225] [emoji222] [emoji263]

Spot on TMaier[emoji106]

Decide what you want, we will be here, we're all addicted![emoji225] [emoji222] [emoji263]
I found this site on a quick google search and it's AMAZING. Thank you all for the responses. I hope I can ease into this community and provide a happy fish home. But for now...

I'm a bad fish-parent! "Metta the Betta" (named by my daughter when she was 3) currently lives in a basic bowl, but he's looking pretty sickly. I found out that when my wife cleans the bowl, she uses soap :eek:. I had planned to scrub out the tank, transfer the marbles, and let him acclimate in a baggie. I think I'm going to have to ease into this hobby so I don't set off alarms for the wife :whistle:

I've managed to get the tank pretty clean and will keep working on it. There's one corner of the BioCube (chamber 1?) that's closed off and I can't access to clean, but I've sprayed water at high pressure through and let vinegar soak in.

If I were to give Metta one or two amenities to start out with, what would you recommend? Is there a specific plant or fish that helps bettas?

This is my 8g orb. Needle leaf Java fern on the right and Anubias on the left. Rock on lower left is covered in Java moss a soft luxurious Betta bed. IMG_8301.jpg

Ignore the baby Anubias banded to rock on the bottom. A young plant just needs a nice spot to grow.

Love it! And a bit envious :) I've started putting together my wishlist... Tank is up and running, cycling water through. I'm going to stop and grab some SafeStart tomorrow.

My plan is to keep it simple to start out - just gravel, a java fern, and the betta for now. Problem is that the BioCube is in my daughter's room against a wall and there won't be much natural light. The BC has the 10K and UV lights in it. 10K just burned out as I was testing it, and I've heard that it isn't great for helping plants. Any suggestions on whether my little setup is even going to need a day lamp? If so, what spectrum? I was thinking maybe 6.5K..?

If you focus on lower light plants don't go spending to much $$$. The light in the orb has 3 LED's.

Back
Top Bottom