Help for a beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alanmc3112

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have got a water testing kit and I can't understand what each colour is and what my tank should be at. Can anyone help? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450628110.811656.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

First off. Strip tests aren't the most accurate. But they can help.

The top 2 readings are the most important of your test kit for now.

NO3 is Nitrate

NO2 is Nitrite.

Follow directions and dip one of the strips into your water and then pull it out and compare it to the chart on the bottle take a picture of your test strip next to the bottle.

Test tap water also.

For future reference your best bet is a liquid testing kit called
API Freshwater Master Test Kit

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000255NCI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_w8TDwb63M20M2

You still need a test for Ammonia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Aren't the most accurate" is an understatement. The one time I used test strips they were so wildly inaccurate (ammonia readings when there were none, nitrate of like 200, etc) that I now offer my own services- for the same price as a test strip I'll taste some of your water and give you comparably accurate readings ;)

API freshwater master test kit is the absolute best way to go- they're accurate enough and they actually cost WAY less per test- you'll get HUNDREDS of tests for $30.

You read the strips from the bottom up.

Bottom color is PH

Next above is KH and GH

"Water hardness is a measure of the dissolved mineral content of water. There are two types: the general hardness (GH) and carbonate hardness (KH)."

And then Nitrite and Nitrate.

In new tanks Ammonia is typically the fish killer.

You need to test for Chlorine as well

There are videos of how to use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom