Help i resealled my aquarium and 24 hours later half my fish are dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Candiceg

Aquarium Advice Freak
What went wrong? Where should I go from here? I used ge silicone 1 like many people said to use

I let it dry for almost 3 days. Tube said 48 hours. I just tested water and it said ph 7.5 ammonia less than .25 which is understandable since there was 8 dead fish in there. And 0 nitrite. I haven't tested nitrate because it didn't seem critical. I removed all the living fish and put them back in the temporary tank. The tank was happy and healthy and fully cycled until wed when it started leaking now I've lost half my fish and have a tank that I don't know where to go from here.

First I've heard of this, anything else new with the tank other than resealing it any signs of sickness I've seen a lot of people use ge 1 with out any issues was it the clear silicone or colored any new fish

It was the clear. Nothing is new in the tank. I did have a few fish that were new from before the leak but now they're all dead. As well as a few that I've had for a year. I'm considering a water change and adding a couple tetras that are still alive to test it. But that seems cruel.

It was the clear. Nothing is new in the tank. I did have a few fish that were new from before the leak but now they're all dead. As well as a few that I've had for a year. I'm considering a water change and adding a couple tetras that are still alive to test it. But that seems cruel.

Could be random could be just a bad batch or from the stress of moving around or a parameter spike of some kind

What would you do next. I'm considering a water change. It seams like I used the right stuff so I don't think they are poisoned but I'm not sure I can't test for poison. This is the week from hell.

What would you do next. I'm considering a water change. It seams like I used the right stuff so I don't think they are poisoned but I'm not sure I can't test for poison. This is the week from hell.

I would do a large water change and keep an eye on the rest

Did you get the mildew resistant silicone for kitchen and bathrooms? That silicone is deadly to use in aquariums.

Did you use the silicone I kitchen & bath? There is different types of silicone 1.

What is the bar-code on that one you used?

It says ge silicone 1 kitchen bath plumbing bar code is 77027006124

It says ge silicone 1 kitchen bath plumbing bar code is 77027006124

I'm sorry to say.. that it looks to be the silicone you got is the wrong one

100% Silicone Rubber Kitchen And Bath Sealant. Provides a watertight mildew-resistant seal on kitchen and bath fixtures. The 100% silicone rubber remains flexible with minimal shrinkage. Apply to: Ceramic tile, Formica laminate, wood, metal, glass, granite, plastic, and fiberglass.

Where did you find this out. I have the tube right in front of me and no where does it say mold and mildew resistant

Thank you your first link is exactly what I used. And the tube itself doesn't say mold and mildew resistant anywhere. Talk about learning the hard way. I'm draining the tank now I've got about 10 fish left out of 30. Hope they make it. Can't believe I have to reseal it again. Please take a lesson from what I've done.

Thank you your first link is exactly what I used. And the tube itself doesn't say mold and mildew resistant anywhere. Talk about learning the hard way. I'm draining the tank now I've got about 10 fish left out of 30. Hope they make it. Can't believe I have to reseal it again. Please take a lesson from what I've done.

Loctite sells a brand of silicone that states on it for aquarium use. I've picked it up from Lowes before.

Sorry for your losses.

I also did a search for safe silicon in the hardware store and the only one I returned with was Loctite Clear Silicon - Aquarium Safe. Sorry to hear about this...the GE descriptions on the labels were not always that clear. Good luck with the re-seal.

That is so horrible. So sorry for your losses! Just heart-breaking!! I just bought a used marine tank w/ stock that I'm mentally prepared to have to seal in an emergency situation if need be. I will definitely be extra sure it's the right silicone. I was just thinking about this tonight. I hope your remaining stock does well. Shame you have to reseal it but you're doing what's best, that's what a dedicated fish keeper would do. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom