HELP!!! Ideas or suggestions on how the reduce pump noise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
My pump noise is too much. I thought when I completely enclosed the bottom of the stand it would help but it did not do enough. Has anyone dealt with this before and found a solution. I have 2 Iwaki MD70RTL external and a mag 5 and mag 36 submersed in the sump. The mag 36 is by far the loudest. What is the best sound reducing material to line the stand with?

What is it sitting on? Most people will put something soft under it to prevent vibration. A a recent conference I went to, Anthony Calfo recommended suspending pumps to help with pump noise.

HTH

It is sitting on 4 rubber feet off the bottom of the sump. It is more of a humming noise than vibration.

Try adding white noise. Fans, or other devices. I have an external "Little Giant" that is pretty loud. I put a 12" box fan under my tank to cool the MH ballast and pump. Seems to clean out the excess noise.

There are all sorts of sound absorbant material out there. Just find something that's cheap... you could even go to Circuit City for this. :p

DYNAMAT! lol it is a little expensive for a roll of this stuff, but if you were to dynamat the whole inside of your stand, you could sit in there and scream and hardly hear a dern thing. Most stands are open-back so im not sure exactly how well this would work. maybne try hanging it with some fishing line or something ? Also rotate it around and stuff underwater, could be a bubble or something trapped in the impeller housing causing the loud noise.

I attached a picture of the stand before all the plumbing and pumps were installed so you get a idea of what I am working with. I have closed in all the opening between boards etc with the blue syrofoam you get at hardware stores. I am checking on getting foam to stuff in all the walls now. I have used dynomat several times in cars but not sure how it would preform in this situation. If I can not quieten it someone will get a deal on a aquarium. :evil:

LOL that dynamat comment was funny... i got a good kick out of that...

i know dynamat is a whiz in my Integra.... but... for tanks??? 8O heck if i know ....

give it a go... if not.. USE SOCKS!

Or glue 2 strips of silicone on the bottom of the pump. I did that and it buffered the noise quite a bit. Kind of a shock absorber.

First, I would place a large piece of wood (one cut to fit the stand) to cover up all openings (on all sides). Then, I would line the entire inside with Dynamat or some other sound absorbant material. You may also consider replacing the "loud" pump and/or adjusting its location under the tank (small crimps in the hose will increase workload and noise) as well as elevation (the further up the hose travels, the more difficult it is for the pump to "push" = more noise).

That's a sweet looking setup, btw.

Back
Top Bottom