Help in Wet/Dry filtration please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PSG3300

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am very new to saltwater, this will be my first tank.. Ive come to the conclusion that A Wet/Dry will be best to filter my 55 gallon tank. Im aware that I need a pump that preforms at 700 gallons per hour but was wondering if i need anything else. I see all these bigger tanks with PVC piping and dont know if that applies to what I am getting?? Besides buying a Wet/Dry sump and a Pump what else would I need as far as the Wet/Dry filtration system goes?

Also!... Im looking to buy the whole set up used.. what should i look for as far as cautions and how long do these last, Thank you!!

your pump choice will depend on how high the water has to go, not only GPH.

you will need an overflow if you are not pre-drilled.

look for cracks in acrylic and glass alike. wet/dry's can/will last forever, the pump on the other hand can be a minute to a lifetime.

I am assuming your 55 does NOT have holes drilled in the bottom pane of glass, correct? if it doesnt you will need the overflow box, if you have holes this is where the PVC you talk about is located. Ill take some pics tomorrow but I have two wet/dry's set up on freshwater tanks. One is drilled the other required an overflow box.

thank you for replying and is an overflow box something I buy or what does it look like.. Most people I've talked to about buying the sump have no idea about any info on it.. And I was told not to buy a used pump correct? The tank will be about 4 feet from the sump

depends on the pump, if its an external or a mag-drive they can be repaired, if not then shy away unless you know you can get parts for it.

4' away as in below or above?

the overflow box is something youd have to purchase
I have the CPR CS100
CPR Overflow Boxes

the pump will be under the tank. And do I absolutely need the overflow. Jow much are those

without holes drilled in the bottom glass....an overflow of some sort is 100% required. I got mine around 100 bucks I think 150 on the high end but it comes with a lift pump and everything but the hoses and those come with a wet/dry.

so when I'm buying the sump and overflow how many gallons do I look for each

ok, what are you keeping in the tank? what are the inside dimensions of your stand or how much room do you have for a sump wherever you are going to put it?

rule of thumb is 4x gph then your tanks capacity...so 55g tank would roughly need 220gph to adequetly turn the water over for filtration.

I am using this wet/dry
Sealife Systems - AquaPro 175S Wet/Dry with prefilter (aquariums up to 175 gal..
(great price on a combo unit)

and this box
CPR CS Overflow Boxes

and this pump
Supreme Pondmaster Pond-Mag Mag-Drive Pumps, PondUSA.com, Pond, Fountain & Water Garden Supplies

pro-mag(supreme) 9.5 950 gph

but take into account those 4' of lift to get the water back in the tank they work very well together and was fitted by a reef shop owner.

reefs from what I understand require alot of current, get a 1200gph capable box and pump to kick up the current and even more turnover of water, after all the ocean doesnt have glass walls and constantly have fresh water.

however I think a wavemaker would better suit that need IMO.

I would also opt for the siphon pipe overflow box rather than the weir type,they tend to be more expensive but in my opinion are far superior,try eshopps or lifereef,as for the size of sump I would go with the largest you can fit beneath your tank remembering room for any skimmer you may get.flow from return pump should be minimum of 6xDT- so min 360gph.some people connect their return pump to pvc pipes which will return the sump water all around the DT for extra flow as well as having powerheads .you'll need between 3-6" gap behind your tank for the overflow which then has a pipe down to your sump once the water has gone through the filter and skimmer it is then returned through the return pump up to your DT.
Hope this helps
keep asking questions here and also have a look at some of the tanks in the gallery

David

Back
Top Bottom