Help inline uv sterilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joecoones

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok I have purchased 2 aquatop inline 10w uv sterilizers. One had broken quarts sleeve so I got a 3rd for replacement, this one too has quarts broken so number 4 shows up. I have 2 total units and 2 units with broken quarts but bulbs that appear intact. Now for the help.

No matter what combination of cords and bulbs I can't get any of them to light up!!! They don't have on off switches just a black casing with a cord going to a transformer then the wall. If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong or if I could have really gotten 4 faulty bulbs in a row please help! Thanks

I am not familiar with your specific models but UV lights should not be viewed directly.

To prevent this usually there is a trigger switch that prevents the bulb from lighting unless the unit is completely assembled. On some of my smaller wattage UV units you can hardly even tell the bulb is on when the unit is running unless it is very dark in the room. Plus some units can overheat if they do not have water constantly flowing through them to cool them down.

If you just want to test that the bulb is actually lighting look for a little spring tab or dead man switch that the cover will close when the unit is assembled. Plug in the unit and hold the switch for a second and see if the bulb lights.

I have seen those on other sterilizers before but this one doesn't have a trigger to know it's closed. I have one completely installed and plugged in on the tank, it has a little opaque plastic ring that glows with the UV light when its supposed to be on. I turned all the lights off in the room at night and nothing. The transformer isn't even warm. infact I have tried 16 different transformer/cord combos and none of the transformers warm up, i left one plugged in all afternoon completely assembled and immersed and the transformers stay ice cold. Anyways I contacted amazon and they are pulling it from stock and refunding me everything. Chinese junk.

I had UV on 5 of my tanks (across three different model sizes 5/9/12w) and I thought they were pretty well built but I see that they are no longer sold (Terminators). I have 4 of them still inline but I removed one now and they all are shut off as I need new bulbs. I got tired of replacing the bulbs once a year and do not really see any difference in algae growth or water clarity.

I purchased all of them from this site:
Compact UV Sterilizer | Terminator & SunSun | Aquarium or Pond

The guy that's runs it really knows his stuff and his customer service was very good. He always shipped fast and answered all my e-mails quickly. He told me once he could not get the Terminators anymore (which I like because they fit right on Eheim 5/8" tubing) and he was selling another brand now they he thought was even better.

Personally I gave up in UV but of the cost and hassle but check this guys site out as it has a lot of UV information along with products and bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom