Help me choose a light, please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonovanJM

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm thinking about having a few live plants in my tank and I'm not sure what light to get. I'm thinking about low to medium light plants as I don't want to deal with CO2 at this point. I'm still new to aquariums. I think I would like to do LED do to the lower energy cost and longevity but do to the relative newness of them the information seems a bit sparse. I understand it's all in the PAR and full spectrum but that's about it. So here are a couple I am looking at if you could give your opinions that would be great.

https://www.amazon.com/VivaGrow-Aquarium-Freshwater-Remote-Automation/dp/B01BX6KLCQ

Beamswork DA FSPEC LED Aquarium Light Freshwater Full Spectrum 24 30 36 48 72 | eBay

This one is fluorescent and a bit more than I need at this time I believe but I think I could run on two bulbs possible until I decide to go high light.
Odyssea T5 Quad Timer Aquarium Light Marine FOWLR Cichlid LED 24 30 36 48 72 | eBay

Thank you!

Erk, that's almost as deep as mine (30 inches) but I have a thick substrate bed for a high-tech planted tank. Should have a link at home for bulbs vs tank depth fyi.

I found run-of-the-mill display lights don't have enough intensity to get decent PAR down to depth. Something similar to the quad t5ho I would think for yours.

Sorry about the slow response. It's been a busy couple days. Thank you for the responses.

So I'm going to need something pretty hefty even for low/medium light plants? I guess I should have known I was going to need a bit more with how deep the tank is.

Hi, below is the chart I was thinking of. I think local members here are doing ok with growing val or other plants which can be bought a decent size and then spread out through runners. Or they place plants on driftwood.

I suspect many are mainly using LEDs but probably different brands to you. If you can get plants to within a foot (maybe a foot and a half) of the light I found they will do ok.

Tips for a Successful Planted Aquarium - Aquarium Fish Forum

From memory about a third or 50% of red light will be lost by the time it gets to substrate at that depth. Blue light not much loss at all.

I tried a cheaper (normal display) light for some time and growth was very slow to backwards at substrate.

That chart is very helpful! According to the chart it looks like I could get away with a 2 bulb T5HO.

Could be worth a try. I've found raising or lowering a light (if needed) can make a bit of a difference and do like the dimmable LEDs. Then I just run lights on a timer.

Back
Top Bottom