Help me choose my next filter(s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trevelyan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok, When I purchased this tank used, it came with a Tetra Whisper 60 Power Filter (obviously not enough for this tank) so a friend was good enough to give me a Magnum 350 to supplement. This worked out for a while (but I hated maintaining the Magnum), until the magnum died. Now I am on the hunt for new filtration. I want to get rid of the HOB tetra, and switch to full canister setup. I have been around and around and I just can't decide for myself, so I came here for some good advice. Here is what I am thinking:

Budget: around $180
What I want: one or two canister filters to support a non-planted 90 gallon tank with a medium-load of fish. These canisters should be quiet and easy to maintain. Power-efficiency and customize-able media is also a plus.

What I have found so far:

A single canister of the following
AquaTop CF-500UV canister filter with UV9W Sterilizer - 525 GPH
Fluval 406 External Filter
Cascade Canister 1200
EHEIM Classic 2217

Or

Two of the following:
AquaTop CF-400UV Canister Filter with UV9W Sterilizer - 370 gph
Cascade Canister 1000
EHEIM Classic 2215
Rena 721 Filstar XP2 (probably used)

Or something I hadn't thought of yet! Any recommendations or advice would be welcome (but because know people will suggest it, I think an FX5 is probably overkill, and is above my price range anyway).

Thanks all!

PS: Current tank inhabitants are a 12"+ Tire track eel, Ctenopoma acutirostre, Synodontis eupterus, Angel, Common Pleco, and a half dozen Giant Danios.

I have an Eheim 2217 AND Aquaclear 110 on my 55 gallon. While I love the 2217, it won't handle 90 gal on its own.

The Aquatop CF500 is your best bet for a single canister filter within your budget, although 2 CF300 (264 gph) gives you the same flow with redundancy at a slightly cheaper price - unless you care about the UV. Or for a little more cash, many people here swear by the FX5 for larger tanks.

You could also consider the odyssea CFS 500 for a budget filter, its cheaper but it has mixed reviews.

FWIW, if my Eheim died, I'd go with the Aquatop/SUN SUN.

I currently have a Rena xp3 running a 90 gal. tank lightly planted stocked with 7 cories 3 or 4 otos and @ 150 guppies flow is good no dead zones, I can use any media I like, and you can find them new @ $180

I run Rena Filster XP3's They are the best canister filter I have used. They are super easy to maintenance, and do an excellent job. Pet Solutions has them on sale right now for $149.00. I have 9 of them from XP2 to XP4.

I have a Cascade 500 for my 28G tank (FOWLR w/a couple corals). It has worked great so far. It is easy to change the filter media, and what I have in it certainly isn't what it came with. Getting it set up and shut down for cleaning is also fairly easy (at least I can do it all on my own with minimum-to-no water spillage). The only thing I'm annoyed about is that the intake and outtake are attached with suction cups on the outside, and these keep on getting loose. I think I may tape them on... aside from that, it's been a great filter for me. :)

Back
Top Bottom