Help my skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bckane

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer With MaxiJet 1200 Pump......just removed it and installed a 20gal sump........installed the skimmer down in the sump and it has now picked up anything in 3 weeks....maybe a 1/8 inch brown water thats it....went I had it installed in the main tank I had to empty the cup every other day..........what could be the problem.?????????Please help

HOB skimmers are made to be hung on the display only. I wish I could help you out more but I think this is what the problem is. You should purchase a more powerful and QUIET in sump skimmer. You can try tweaking the skimmer a bit so it is producing more foam. HTH

DragonForce said:
HOB skimmers are made to be hung on the display only. I wish I could help you out more but I think this is what the problem is. You should purchase a more powerful and QUIET in sump skimmer. You can try tweaking the skimmer a bit so it is producing more foam. HTH

how would I go about tweaking my skimmer.????

I believe the remora has an adjustable height on the collection cup. Depending if you raise it or lower it will determine if you are skimming more wet or dry. If you lower it, it should skim a little more on a the wet side which should give you some results. Again, I would purchase an in-sump skimmer.

how well is the skimmer getting surfase water? how fast is the flow through the sump (Im assuming much faster then the maxi jet can pump).. How close to the surfase water is the maxi jet (closer is better)? how close is the skimmer to pipe that brings water down from the tank (as close as possible is better)? do you have the pre-skimmer adapter (if installed properly, not falling off pretty much, it can help)? and HOB skimmers work fine in a sump thats set up for them, I dont know were this it has to be on the main business came from..

if moving the skimmer close to the pipe coming down from the main tank, moving the pump close to the surfase.. and using the pre filter box doesnt help the flow through the sump might be too much for it and moving it back to the main tank might be prudent..

btw.. you could always try putting a Mag pump on it.. most start out with a Mag 3 but Ive seen were people have put a Mag 5 on them..

The same thing happened to me when I moved my Remora pro into my newly set-up sump. Once I adjusted the water level in the sump as high as I could it started skimming well again. This is a two edged sword because you need to have enough room in the sump to prevent overflow in case you return pump fails, but this worked for me. As suggested by others-- slowing the sump flow, raising the pump closer to the surface and/or adding a prefilter box may help.

IndyReefMan said:
The same thing happened to me when I moved my Remora pro into my newly set-up sump. Once I adjusted the water level in the sump as high as I could it started skimming well again. This is a two edged sword because you need to have enough room in the sump to prevent overflow in case you return pump fails, but this worked for me. As suggested by others-- slowing the sump flow, raising the pump closer to the surface and/or adding a prefilter box may help.

What if I raise the pump higher to the surface.........I have the pump 3" below the surface now......I only have a 5 gal section in my sump where the skimmer is....water level is about 10"....

What if I raise the pump higher to the surface.........I have the pump 3" below the surface now......I only have a 5 gal section in my sump where the skimmer is....water level is about 10"....

That should help. The closer the pump is to the surface, the more organics it should be able to pull in.

IndyReefMan said:

That should help. The closer the pump is to the surface, the more organics it should be able to pull in.

What is the difference between the the hob version and the sump version....on the sump version it looks likethe pump is all the way down the skimmer and the hob ver is closer to the surface.??

Back
Top Bottom