Help!! Nitrite levels at 5ppm!!'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mickrabb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys I have a relatively new tank. I received it off a friend and he only
Lives next door. We were able to relocate most of the water. He told me that I should be fine to start adding fish. However after checking the nitrite levels they are super high. The ammonia and nitrate are ok.

I did a partial water hangs today and added some prime. What else should I be doing?

Should I also add seachem stability? Or salt?

When can I do my next water change? And when I do it should I also clean the gravel?

Mick

Nitrites should be 0 before you add fish, what are the other parameters? Once we know that we can best establish what to do moving forward. (y)

I am assuming it is currently not stocked, if it is stocked do a few 50% water changes until the nitrites are no longer present.

Your New TAnk

Hey guys I have a relatively new tank. I received it off a friend and he only
Lives next door. We were able to relocate most of the water. He told me that I should be fine to start adding fish. However after checking the nitrite levels they are super high. The ammonia and nitrate are ok.

I did a partial water hangs today and added some prime. What else should I be doing?

Should I also add seachem stability? Or salt?

When can I do my next water change? And when I do it should I also clean the gravel?

Mick

Hello Mick...

Check the tank water daily for ammonia and nitrite. If your test shows a trace of either, then remove and replace 25 percent of the tank water. Add some floating plants like Anacharis and Hornwort. These will help keep the water cleaner. A teaspoon of standard aquarium salt in every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water will help the fish cope with the higher ammonia and nitrite in the water.

Your tank appears to be going through "new tank syndrome". But, by testing the water every day and performing the water changes, your fish will hopefully make it alright.

This is pretty much the action I'd take. Your call though.

B

Did the tank have gravel in already? Soiled gravel when stirred up could possibly spike nitrites.

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. I will be doing daily water changes until I can get the nitrites under control. I will let you all know how I go.

Hey guys,

Just an update after two water changes over the last few days the tank is now down to about 1ppm. I know this still Should be zero, it's a huge improvement. All of my fish are doing well!

Should I grab some aquarium salt as well to help improve further? Do you need to use aquarium salts on a regular basis?

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Using Aquarium Salt

Hey guys,

Just an update after two water changes over the last few days the tank is now down to about 1ppm. I know this still Should be zero, it's a huge improvement. All of my fish are doing well!

Should I grab some aquarium salt as well to help improve further? Do you need to use aquarium salts on a regular basis?

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Hello again mick...

Good idea. Standard aquarium salt, Kosher or canning salt can be used. None have additives. I use a teaspoon for every 5 gallons of replacement water and do this weekly. I change half the water in my tanks every week. By doing this you don't allow toxins to build up in the tank water. The water is always pure. This small amount of salt will keep your fish healthy and won't damage aquarium plants. I've been using a little in my planted Livebearer and Corydoras tanks for close to 10 years and never had a problem with diseases.

Keep up on the large, weekly water changes. If you do, you'll avoid most, if not all tank problems.

Have fun!

B

Back
Top Bottom