Help! Odd size tank needs odd size hood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewFishFella

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello... Foregoing the long albeit interesting story, I have found myself in the position of being a first-time aquarium owner. It's a 45-gallon beauty with dimensions 24" H x 24" W x 18" D. I can't find a decent hood for this monster. Does anyone have a source for an odd-sized hood that has all the features of a "easily purchased" hood (viz. lights, access panel in front for me, access space in back for the filter and tubing)?

"My mother thanks you, my father thanks you, and I thank you."

Oy vey!

J

I'm sorry I can't help you, just wanted to welcome you to aquarium advice! Hopefully someone will chime in!

I'm in a similar situation with my 125 - it's 60" wide and 18" front to back. No one I've found sells anything that fits, so I ended up ordering the hinge and rubber back piece from DrsFosterSmith.com, and will have a local shop cut the glass I need.

I've also found that some of the local fish stores have the hinges, but so far none have had the rubber piece for the back. Call around, you might get lucky.

Thats a bizarre size indeed. you may end up needing to make your own wooden canopy for the top. then you can use whatever lighting and however much wattage you want.

Otherwise, 24"x24", you'd probably need to look at Ocean cube hoods, which are spendy spendy.

Can you do a hanging fixture or maybe get two 24" fixtures and place them spaced apart?

Guys, his tank is 24" x 18" at the top, not 24" x 24"! LOL. He said 24 high. The "depth" part thats throwing you is front to back "depth". Anyway, if you yourself are handy or you have a handy friend w/ tools, making a hood is pretty straightforward. Theres not much to them, and you could prob. do a better job and cheaper too. Look around on this site for DIY plans. Good luck!

good catch Sicklid. I didn't even notice that. I read it as L x W x H as that's how things normally get listed.

so 24"Lx18"W...still a bizarre size. Since this is a couple months old, I hope the OP was able to find/build something that worked.

Back
Top Bottom