Help! Protein skimmer keeps bubbling over!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skoucout

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 7 month old tank and yesterday I changed my overflow box and filter sock and now it is going nuts and won't stop producing too many bubbles. I put the sock in first without washing but then took it out after an hour and washed it on hot with some white vinegar. It didn't help. The protein skimmer is a reef octopus 110 and is sitting in 8 inches of water. The manual recommends 6-10 so that should be perfect. I took the skimmer out and cleaned it (it was due anyways) and left it from last night till 6 this morning and still the same. What do I do? Should I leave it running? I read a new sock can make it a little nuts but it's been a long time. I was thinking about putting a carbon bag in the sump while this is going on to help with filtration so it doesn't affect my tank.

In case it helps:
72 gallon
5 chromis
2 clowns
1 Tiger goby
1 seagrass wrasse
1 fire shrimp
1 flame angel

Thanks!

Just to say before asked, it is already turned as low as possible.

Thanks again.

Just because the manual says 6-10" doesn't mean right in the middle is perfect. If it's bubbling over with it turned all the way down, try raising it.....

skoucout said:
Just to say before asked, it is already turned as low as possible.

Thanks again.

Lower the amount of water going in or maybe thoroughly clean the airline and where the airline connecrs

I did a 10 gallon water change and it pretty much immediately went to behaving normally. I don't see how a small change helped that much but it worked. On a note, I did try rasping it to 6 inches and it was still going nuts at the time. All is good now though.

My guess is the junk you stirred up and then the vinegar. Vinegar, vodka, and all carbon sources make skimmers go nuts.

Back
Top Bottom