Help PVC cure time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Choate515

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Due to me changing out the sump today I had to use PVC to plumb the return.
Question is how long do I have to let the glue cure before I can hook it up and let it cycle. Right now I have the return pump shut off. I did use a hair dryer to blow hot air through it hoping to evaporate the excess glue and primer for about 5 min, I then put in the sink under running water for another 5 min to flush but it still has a strong chemical smell.

At home and at work I allow 24hrs of dry time with a valve open to allow airflow, if possible. If you do not allow for airflow make sure you flush the line after 24hrs outside of the aquarium for a few minutes to exhaust vapors. Always better to be on the cautious side

At home and at work I allow 24hrs of dry time with a valve open to allow airflow, if possible. If you do not allow for airflow make sure you flush the line after 24hrs outside of the aquarium for a few minutes to exhaust vapors. Always better to be on the cautious side

Ok thanks but what should I do tonight, keep the return pump off and put a air stone in the tank? It is a 65 gal I shut it down about 5:00 pm tonight.

If your tank still needs to cycle (I think you mean, as in to "cycle" the aquarium) you can either add some airlines or a powerhead(s) for circulation/oxygenation.

Due to me changing out the sump today I had to use PVC to plumb the return.
Question is how long do I have to let the glue cure before I can hook it up and let it cycle. Right now I have the return pump shut off. I did use a hair dryer to blow hot air through it hoping to evaporate the excess glue and primer for about 5 min, I then put in the sink under running water for another 5 min to flush but it still has a strong chemical smell.

All PVC or CPVC joints should be made with the pipes totally dry (ie. no water inside or out.) Apply the primer then glue and push the joint together fully while making a 1/4 turn on the pipe or fitting. The 1/4 turn helps spread the glue and prevent leaks. Hold the pipes in place for 15- 20 seconds for the glue to "set", otherwise the joint will try to back out. "Cure" time relates to how much pressure you want the final joint to be able to resist, and the room temp. Try this link for general guides.
FAQ :: Oatey.com
Generally at 70'F and pipes at 2" and under, 1 hour for aquarium applications is fine. Make sure you have good ventilation while gluing and drying. The solvents in the glue are not something you want to be breathing. The glue vapors are highly flammable as well.

FYI, for high pressure uses in fire systems, etc., insurance companies are requiring a cure time of 24 hours before water is applied to the piping or any leaks/damage will not be covered by the policy. Although the manufacturers of the pipe and glue claim you can restore the systems to service in as little as 30 min. in most cases. (darn lawyers)

Yes I meant cycle the return from the sump

Thanks

Ok sorry for the confusion, this is an active reef tank, the cycle I was refering to is the cycle (circulation) return from the sump. I have a temp fix in place with the original overflow hose. I will let the pvc cure until tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom