Help! - Question regarding a solenoid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shinji

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All,
Recently I have purchased a co2 cylinder and regulator without solenoid (because it was cheap!) to inject co2 for my planted tank. I put the cylinder far away from the tank because it was tall and did not fit into the stand. Now I have a desire to get a solenoid separately, since it became troublesome for me to open and close the regulator every morning and night. My question is, if I can use this regulator, Milwaukee MA955 Solenoid Valve in the middle of tube or I have to attach it up to the regulator somehow. From the picture, it looks possible to do so, but I was not sure. I am asking this because the place I put the cylinder has no outlet around. I wanted to connect this solenoid somewhere close to an aquarium and diffuser, so that I can get the place to plug it in. Sorry for asking a silly question - any suggestion/experience/professional advise will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

that hooks in between the output of the regulator and the needle valve. i dont think its possible to put it somewhere inline. if you dont have a outlet near might just want to run the co2 24/7. its not really harmful more so if you are diffusing it with a power head. you could just put the power head on a timer like the lights.

Hello All,
Recently I have purchased a co2 cylinder and regulator without solenoid (because it was cheap!) to inject co2 for my planted tank. I put the cylinder far away from the tank because it was tall and did not fit into the stand. Now I have a desire to get a solenoid separately, since it became troublesome for me to open and close the regulator every morning and night. My question is, if I can use this regulator, Milwaukee MA955 Solenoid Valve in the middle of tube or I have to attach it up to the regulator somehow. From the picture, it looks possible to do so, but I was not sure. I am asking this because the place I put the cylinder has no outlet around. I wanted to connect this solenoid somewhere close to an aquarium and diffuser, so that I can get the place to plug it in. Sorry for a silly question - any suggestion/experience/professional advise will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

It's not a silly question at all.
Is your needle valve on your regulator?
This solenoid will go anywhere along the tubing run. IMHO it would be better on the low pressure side of the line. This would help to lessen the amount of gas seeping out of the tubing.
Just to state my owncase, I've had my setup running for two years 24/7 with no ill effects.
I feel the small lose of gas is better than the 1 point swing in pH during the time the gas is off.

Thank you!!

Thank you all for kind replies. I am afraid, but let me ask another question please. Generally speaking, this kind of solenoid can be attached to any regulators size-wise? I began to consider attaching the solenoid between the regulator and needle valve as suggested, using a long extension cord to the outlet. For reference, my regulator is concoa 806-5587 in the page linked: http://www.concoa.com/docs/catalogs/ADC3022K_Cutting_Welding/Single%20Stage%20Regulators/ADC3022K%205500%20Series%20Regulator.pdf
I also do have the needle valve attaching to the regulator output. Again, thank you very much for your time and kindness!

Thank you all for kind replies. I am afraid, but let me ask another question please. Generally speaking, this kind of solenoid can be attached to any regulators size-wise? I began to consider attaching the solenoid between the regulator and needle valve as suggested, using a long extension cord to the outlet. For reference, my regulator is concoa 806-5587 in the page linked: http://www.concoa.com/docs/catalogs...Regulators/ADC3022K 5500 Series Regulator.pdf
I also do have the needle valve attaching to the regulator output. Again, thank you very much for your time and kindness!

I don't think there's any problem using this solenoid with your regulator.
You can mount it right by, or on, your tank, probably with no extension cord, and make things a little easier on yourself.

I will try

Dear All,
Having had positive answers for two of my questions, I can now purchase and try the solenoid without a hesitation. Again, thank you very much to mgamer20o0 and Ruadh for your kind and helpful info!!

Back
Top Bottom