help with acclimation from MH to LED's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tmyboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok........Im considering making the switch from my MH to LED's on my 75g reef and Im really concerned about how to acclimate the coral that are used to my 250 MH lighting.

Currently im running 2-250w MH and actinics and everythnig is happy at the moment and growing very well, but the I really like the idea of not having to change 60 bulbs twice a year or any bulb for that matter!!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how many lumens I need in LED's to equal my current MH setup and how to properly acclimate the coral, which is what im worried about most of course.

Little help please? Would love to hear mr. X theory on this!

Thanks in advance

T

What brand MH bulbs did you use and which LED's are you planning on going with? Without knowing either, it's impossible to say if the MH's had more PAR or the LED's will have more PAR. Lumens are irrelevant.

I took this out of one of Mr. X's posts. But what Capt said is correct.

"The ones I am using are 55 three watt LEDs pushed to 2 watts a piece. I have done months of research on these as they are growing SPS in my tank that's 30" away from the fixture. I don't know the PUR output, but the PAR numbers easily match a 250 watt metal halide."

After reading that, I can't believe it was written in April...the info about par/pur is really good, but when you get down to when he talks about specific LED models...I have barely heard of half of them. It is hard to believe that Ecotech's Radions weren't even mentioned. Atleast tell me they are overpriced or something! Either way, good info as long as you ignore when he talks about brands.

ccCapt said:
What brand MH bulbs did you use and which LED's are you planning on going with? Without knowing either, it's impossible to say if the MH's had more PAR or the LED's will have more PAR. Lumens are irrelevant.

Im using 2- 15k xm double ended hqi's with 2-54w coralife actinic t-t5's.

Dont know what type of led's just yet.......just entering the reasearch phase so I know what lighting parameters I need to go by.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

T

Well, right off the bat even if you wanted to stay with your same setup upgrading the actinic bulbs will help you out. I have a 4 bulb T5HO from coralife over my 36 gal w/ 2 of their actinics and 2 10ks. Switching those out for higher end bulbs would do wonders I'm sure. Any ATI blues, like the aqua blue special or blue + would do. If you wanted more purple a fiji purple would be good as well. That is kinda besides the point and off topic since you are looking to not replace bulbs though!

Mr. X and several others in this forum are using the taotonics. I'll post a link for them from ebay so you can check them out.
Aquarium Coral Reef Tank black Blue LED Grow Light 120W | eBay

I looked around as I used to have a site that broke down MH vs LED in terms of wattage, par, pur...but I can't find it to save my life. I personally do not use the taotonics LEDs, I am running 2 Ecotech Radions above my 55 gal reef and love them to no end. Their only downfall is the price. Here is the first place that brought them up from a google search. They are pricey, but fit what I needed so I pulled extra time at work for them.
Results for All Products > Brand: Ecotech Marine > Category: Lighting - Saltwater Aquarium Supplies, Pet Fish Supplies, Protein Skimmers, Aquarium Chillers, Aquarium Lighting 866-872-0195

The PAR on 250w XM 15k bulbs isn't all that good. The LED's will be more powerful. If possible, mount the new LED's a little higher and slowly drop them after a few weeks time.

Or, use a few layers of window screen between the tank and the fixture and remove one a week until they are gone. That is a good way to slowly increase the light. You can buy it in rolls pretty cheaply.

I just replaced my odyssea 250w metal halide + 4 t5ho's with a 9x10w DIY led, and the led seems just slightly dimmer than the halide was. I used an icecap ballast and a Phoenix 14000k bulb, and 2xzoomed 460nm and 2x true lumen 420nm t5ho bulbs, I used 8 x epistar 10w hybrid (2/3 blue and 1/3 10000k) emitters, and 1 20000k 10w emitter.

Thank you all for the replies.
Now i have a few options to think about.

Back
Top Bottom