help with flouresent light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jakeras

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone. I have this light that came with my used tank. I don't know the brand, but it looks like an aqueon light. I put a bulb in it, but it didn't turn on. I put the bulb in a different fixture and it worked. I don't have the money to go out and replace it. Is there a way to fix it? Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130821_112846.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130821_112846.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 47
  • ForumRunner_20130821_112915.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130821_112915.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 52
  • ForumRunner_20130821_112938.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130821_112938.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 93
In the third pic, the round thing in the middle (I think it is the starter) can be twisted off and replaced. They should carry replacements at pet stores, hardware stores, or lighting stores. No sure how much they cost though.

It took some pliers and elbow grease, but it came out. I broke it though, so I sure hope its a starter like you guys said.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130821_184425.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130821_184425.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 62
It took some pliers and elbow grease, but it came out. I broke it though, so I sure hope its a starter like you guys said.

At least the broken part came out and did not get stuck in the fixture. Just take it up the Home Depot or Lowes and find a replacement in the lighting section. The specifications should be on the starter. The wattage should be on the light bulb itself. Should be inexpensive (I saw them listed at HomeDepot.com for $1.97 a pair).

Amazon has them also under pet supplies but they cost almost $6 a pair there. Just another option if you have trouble finding them.

That's pretty cool. So often it turns out to be the ballast that is not working and they can cost quite a bit to replace, depending which one is needed, and that assumes you can even find the right ballast. I had a hood that came with a used hex tank, hadn't ever worked, which I knew.

New in the box this tank would have been at least $75., and it cost me $15, which was more than fair, I thought. Then another ten bucks to fix the hood, and it's a really nice little tank. Worth the effort, and a good learning experience fixing the hood so it would work.

The issue with it was the ballast. It had an odd type of ballast that I could not find a replacement for, so I ended up having to pull the ballast out & rewire the fixture. Luckily, lots of room where the ballast had been to fit in the sockets I used in place of the original tube it cam with.

I put in one double ended socket that allows me to use a pair of spiral flourescent bulbs that are self ballasted, which pretty much turn it into a fairly high light tank that grows almost anything I want to put in it.

It works really, really well now it's been repaired. I used a lot of silicone to seal as much of the socket as possible. Even though they are covered by a lens, I figured better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom