help with lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craig_will2513

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi anyone help me with myliging problem.. i have an orca nano reef tl450 12.5 gallon tank. what knd of lig do i need to keep cralsuch asanmones. it has space for 2 bulbs the ones in now are each 2 prong bulbs one has bule and one is white. why is one bule and one white.. do i need uv lighs the blue ons or natural sun light bulbs.. any help is welcomd as iam lost

the bulbs you have in the hood are fine. one is a daylight bulb and the other is an actinic bulb. i just think the intensity isn't there. wait and see what happens with the anemone. if it starts to lose color, then you know for sure you need stronger lighting.

cool mate thanks.. so the white is the sunlight one ond the bule is antics one.. is that rigt.. so how is the strengh of light rated so i know what to get

cool mate thanks.. so the white is the sunlight one ond the bule is antics one.. is that rigt.. so how is the strengh of light rated so i know what to get
yes, the white is daylight and the blue actinic. did you check that nano tuners link i posted for lighting upgrades?
i'm not sure how to answer the light strength ratings question for you, except to say that corals use photosynthetically active radiation, or PAR for photosynthesis. this is present in all artificial lighting, but in some more than others. years ago, they used to use compact florescent lighting over reef tanks, but recently they've discovered many more powerful solutions. they noticed that the CF fixtures didn't penetrate the water like some other types.
many aquarium lighting manufacturers still sell cf fixtures, but they are being phased out.
your system will definitely support a good amount of corals, but i'm just not sure about things like stony corals, clams, or anemones.

metal halide, T5 high output, and the new LED lighting are much more potent than the CF. to know for sure what kind of PAR your unit puts out you would need a PAR meter. it's a roughly 300 dollar device. otherwise, you can just "listen" to your livestock. if you see them losing color or turning brown, then you know you need more light.

thank you very much thats a big help.. once in my tank how long will it take for me to start to notice if there isnt enough light for the anemone

also can some ne help me with what the different types of light there are iam looking to keep corals nems and maybe a few fish and i have no idea what types of lights there are out there

Back
Top Bottom