help with sump pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joy13

Aquarium Advice Addict
Use a ball valve ,...you gotta close or open the valve until you get the water level you want,.....I think every sump out there prob has a ball valve installed just for this reason...

Thank you. My other sump is fine and this one was until I got a new pump. I got it done a bit hard with the thing set up but not to bad.

I would say that a ball valve would be a bad idea. When restricting the water back pressure to the pump will only shorten the life of the pump by half. Send it back and get a smaller pump is my recommendation.

I have a ball valve but it limits the water that comes down to the sump. What is your overflow rated for? The pump?

It's all about getting the the inflow into your sump from the aquarium balanced with the outflow from the sump back into the aquarium, without the valve it'll probably never sync with each other,....say your intake flow into your sump is 500 gallons per hour and your pump is putting 502 gallons per hour back into your tank,..well, it's not going to take too long for your sump to run dry ,...that's why you use the valve....it's all about syncing with one another....prob impossible without one.

Here is a picture of my sump. I run mine with no ball valve. Personal preference. Your overflow is gravity fed so that all you need is a pump that shoots it to the tank at a moderate rate. My pump is 500 gph.

Attachments

• image-2641168363.jpg
    image-2641168363.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 82
Back
Top Bottom