Hi master fish keepers question about filter floss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ndefil

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone I have a 20 gallon long freshwater tank with an aquaclear 50 hob filter I currently stock it with purigen and polyester fiber fill. I seem to have tiny white particles somewhat like little air bubbles or specs. My question is should I continue with the fiber fill or try something else possibly like a bonded filter pad or some sort of polishing cloth. What's everyone's opinions? Thank you ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395941817.693967.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395941852.711224.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395941879.438132.jpg

I've been using fill floss since it was invented :whistle: and never had any issue with floaters or floss disintegrating. My first guess is it is a bacteria floating around. That I have seen before.

Many months ago my tank use to look exactly like that. At the time i was having a diatom outbreak, so I added some Seachem PhosGuard to help get rid of some of the silicates. After having it in my filter for about a month, my tank was crystal clear, and the diatom bloom subsided... so I took the PhosGuard out.
A few weeks later, my water started to get cloudy again, so I put some more PhosGuard in, and in a couple weeks it was clear again... so ever since, I've just been keeping a bit of it in my filter (bought a big tub of it), and my waters been staying clear. (I'm no scientist, so have no idea why the phosguard helps.. maybe it has something to do with silicate levels, and maybe my tap has high silicates.. but I dunno cause I havent tested it)

I have this same issue and I can tell you that my bonded filter pads haven't helped in fact I was about to switch to filter floss. Thanks for sharing P220, I am going to look into PhosGuard.

Back
Top Bottom