Hi - new to the forum and having filter issues!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeilaW

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,

I joined up to hopefully find some advice about my filter - I've had a 45 litre tank for 8 months (the AquaEl Classic 60 with AquaEl internal filter) and to begin with the filter worked brilliantly, shooting out a stream of bubbles and keep the water lovely and clear.

The first time I rinsed the filter sponge (in tank water) I noticed the bubbles coming out of the filter were not as strong as they had been before.

A couple of weeks later the bubbles had all but stopped and the filter wasn't keeping the tank as clean so I took the filter to pieces and carefully cleaned each part, (there was a bit of gunk on the impellor but not enough to cause problems I would have thought) and reassembled. Still the same issue, the filter just doesn't seem to be working as effectively.

The filter comes under three year warantee but I don't want to remove it and send back to the company because all the biological filter media will die - I do have an old filter I could use in the meantimefrom my old tank, a stingray one - but obviously this has not been used for 8 months and the filter sponge is a completely different shape/size.

Any advice would be gratefully received - my fish seem happy enough but I'm having to clean the tank more and more and it's a bit frustrating!

Thanks,

Leila

Sounds a big simple but did you replace the impeller cover after replacing the impeller. Did you clean down inside the impeller chamber, mine sometimes gets gummed up. I use a small bottle brush. My internal filter sometimes gets an air lock and I just wiggle it a bit and air comes rushing out follower by a normally strong flow. My internal filter also has a flow adjuster inside, not easily seen and I have slid the little cover across and not noticed. A cleaned filter, if correctly assembled, usually has a better flow rate. I hope one of these May be of some use. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom