Higher GPH for skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

natman2

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a skimmer right now that is rated for 150 gallon tank with a surge pump that puts out 660gph that came with the skimmer.

I have a spare rio pump that is rated for 960GPH. I was thinking of attaching that to the present skimmer. Any benefit to going overkill like this with your skimmer pump?

Depending on the skimmer, some will produce more output, and some will overflow. Give it a shot :)

works and works much better at that. Only draw back is a tad wetter skim. On the other hand I can make it real wet if need be.

Sometimes increasing the flow will not allow enough contact time between the water and the bubbles which can actually decrease the efficiency of the skimmer. It just depends on the type of skimmer that you are using. I "turbo-charged" my Aqua-C Remora Pro by drilling a small hole and feeding an airline into the reaction chamber and driving a limewood airstone with it. It increased the efficiency to the point where it produces about twice as much dark skimmate as it did when it was stock.

Back
Top Bottom