HO Flourescents - how often to change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crusis

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 48" orbit fixture on my 75G tank.... I have a question about the flourescents.

How often do you change the bulbs? I have heard that the bulbs lose luminoscity in the needed bandwidths after a length of time... just not sure what time that is, or even if it varies from bulb type to bulb type. I have 65W straight pin bulbs.

Any ideas?

Is the tank planted? (not sure which tank you are speaking of, the African or Planted) If not, the bulbs should be replaced when the lights begin to not shine as bright as they used to. Non-planted tanks I believe need to have the bulb changed when the old ones become worn out. Planted tanks do need to have the bulbs changed, but I am unsure of at what point that should happen. You may want to try posting in the Planted Forum unless someone chimes in with an answer. I have never had to change my bulbs because they have become too old, but then again I have only had my tank planted for a few months.

Yeah, it's the planted tank. You're right, I probably should have posted this in the planted forums. I've had my lights about a year, and I don't really notice any difference. I figured that the bandwidths we don't see were what mattered.

It might help growth if you start replacing them as budget allows. They will probably continue good growth until they burn out though. Malkore can attest to the fact that you may experience a "growth spurt" if you replace them all at once.

average?
that would depend..
do you have fans on your lighting system?
If not 6 months would be a good guess.. If so I would suggest 9 months..

Yes, it's an Orbit fixture, it has fans. It can run 260W of bulbs, I run 130W. It's been 9 mos, I don't see any difference, but you don't see things that change slowly over time if you see them everyday.... I'll have to order some bulbs.

I run my lamps until they burn out. Why on earth would anyone change a lamp that is growing plants and not causing a problem? I've run PC's for over two years and would never consider replacing a lamp on a planted tank until it fails to light. Plants are extremely adaptable to lighting levels. When replacing lamps you may notice a burst of growth and more pearling during the "burn-in" phase (the first 100 hours the lamps are lit), then the intensity drops to levels almost equal to those right before burn out. I can say without question, that 1-2 year old lamps grow plants just as well as 0.5-1 year old lamps.

I didnt read close enought (I was asuming Hight output floresnets).. you have PC right?
If so your fine if they still work..

Yeah, these are PC flourescents. An Orbit 48" compact.

Glad to know. The bulbs aren't that expensive, but it would bug me to throw them out if I can still see light from them. Seems wasteful. But it's all about the plants!

Back
Top Bottom