HOB Filter Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Manic Fury

Aquarium Advice Activist
My filter has been slowly reducing in flow recently. I noticed that the flow out of the filter was beginning to get slow.

The filter is a Tetra Whisper EX 45. I took it apart and cleaned out the filter pad, the "Bio-Scrubber", and the intake tube. I even took out the impeller and cleaned it to make sure something wasn't inhibiting it. I then put it all back together and it's still giving me problems.

I've done this about 3 times now and it still doesn't work right. My tank is getting filthy and I don't know what else to do.

Anyone got a suggestion?

Buy a new filter??

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Get a canister i love mine and you can get brands like sun sun for the same price as hobs

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Get a canister i love mine and you can get brands like sun sun for the same price as hobs

Is your Canister a sun sun brand? If so, how long have you had and do you like it?

I know I can just get a new filter. But what I'm asking is what's wrong with my filter and how to fix it. If I can fix it, no use in spending more money and getting a new one.

My canister is a marineland and i love it ive had it for a few months. Lots of room for media

you asked if we had suggestions, most of us just agreed a new one was your best option

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just a question like this, you are saying your tank is getting filthy, is it because there are lot of detritus in your gravel/substrate?

How do you know for sure the flow has reduced? Is it because the flow has became a slow dripping?

And how long have been using that filter?

Just a question like this, you are saying your tank is getting filthy, is it because there are lot of detritus in your gravel/substrate?

How do you know for sure the flow has reduced? Is it because the flow has became a slow dripping?

And how long have been using that filter?

Yes. A lot of detritus in the gravel.

The flow used to be like a waterfall, great flow would push around everything efficiently. It is now just dripping out of the outflow.

I've been using this filter for about a year now.

Weird. But the way the media fit inside and water flow has to go up and down between the media doesn't seem to help, especially if something sits out of place. Have you tried to spin the impeller with your finger to see if it gets caught in something?

If all fail, I'd suggest getting an Aquaclear HOB instead of a cheap inexpensive filter.

Weird. But the way the media fit inside and water flow has to go up and down between the media doesn't seem to help, especially if something sits out of place. Have you tried to spin the impeller with your finger to see if it gets caught in something?

If all fail, I'd suggest getting an Aquaclear HOB instead of a cheap inexpensive filter.

I have tried this. It seems to be working just fine. Today is my Water Change day so before I clean out the tank I'm going to break down the entire filter and clean as much as I can around the impeller. I'll check it again to see if anything is caught in the housing.

I'll report my results when I finish doing so. I'm thinking (if nothing else seems wrong) that the motor might be going out. Could be wrong.

Also, I do have a brand new filter that I got for Christmas. It's the Aqueon Quietflow 55/75 filter. But since I have a 30G Long tank, the intake tube is too long. I posted a thread about that earlier and found out that cutting the tube with a hacksaw would work. Or building a custom PVC intake would work also. Need to do a little DIY to get it to work. I'll do all that if I can't get this stupid thing to work.

One of the cheap hobs on my little tank done this, took it apart and found a clump of java moss inside the intake tube :doh:

I'm fine filtering at the intake, so large debris would never get in there...

I took apart my filter and cleaned out everything. Checked the impeller and it's housing and nothing seemed to be blocking it. I cleaned my tank and refilled. Turned on the filter and it seems to be working fine again.

But this has happened before. It works fine and then starts trickling again. Hopefully it will maintain it's flow but if not. I'm just gonna have to start working on my new filter that won't fit and get it to do so.

Back
Top Bottom