HOB filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danio-deb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Both my 15 yr old Emperer 400 and Hot Magnum 250 started getting noisy at the same time so I bought new parts for both of them but was surprised the 400 was still rattling. The Magnum with the new impeller,gaskets,air ejector tube and D ring still had water sloshing around inside and I discovered it was leaking out the bottom. So I tried a new AquaClear 110 and it had a really noisy motor! The new Emperer rattled too which was extremely disappointing since it's a fantastic filter. Then I bought a new Magnum 250 and it leaked out of the outlet tube where the factory put it together. I'm shocked at how the quality of all these fantastic filters has gone right down the tubes (pun intended). I took all of them back so the manufacturers know we're not going to stand for cheap quality! Are there any other filters any of you are using that are extremely quiet and do not rattle? I have a 75 gallon and need some filters urgently. I have a very small house so you can hear a noisy filter.

I run two filters on my tanks because I haven't found an inexpensive one that is big enough AND quiet. I added a piece of plastic tubing to get the intake on one of the filters near the bottom (and then put the intake portion at the bottom) and held the tube in place with a suction cup. Not sure if you're interested, but it does cutdown on motor noise.

I'm surpised about the marineland products. I love their brands. At least u got 15 yrs, thats awesome. I run 2 Rena (XP3 and 4) on my 125 and they seem pretty quiet. They are in my stand and haven't had any problems (knock on wood). From my research, it doesn't seem that any 1 filter is superior; they all will have a bad item here and there. Good Luck! Happy fish keeping.

Walmart HOB filter, Good cost and not bad filters, well at least 5-10 years ago they were good I never had a problem with them and stuff is avail eveywhere for them at a cheap cost.

Go to a couple of Rena XP canister filters. No noise at all, and you can hide them inside the stand. I use 9 of them and I am very satisfied:)

Back
Top Bottom