HOB filters--just some thoughts about Marineland versus Aquaclear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fearlessfisch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I use a mix of Marineland Emperor filters, and the Aquaclear line. I shifted to Aquaclears on some tanks a few years ago when I became frustrated at what seemed like constant noise from the Emperors. I also really like the Aquaclear box--its size and versatility and appearance compared to the clunky, black Emperors. The Aquaclear media box and sponges consistently do a great job of filtration, while the Emperor cartridges sometimes seemed to allow a little bit of water to run around them.

However, I have been experiencing a surge of warmth and appreciation for my Emperors lately. I replaced a few impellers, and now the filters are running very quietly and nicely. These are old filters, many of them from back in the early 1990s, and they are powerhouses, running consistently and strong. They always start up, and they never disappoint me. I am experimenting with using cartridges in some of them and cutting sponges to fit in the boxes of the others.

Lately the Aquaclears seem to just...stop. I am constantly having to take them apart to rinse, lubricate, and reset the impellers. They always start up again, but it is a hassle how often this happens. I am sure using play sand as a substrate doesn't help...but I don't have this problem with my Emperors.

They're both good filters, but today I am feeling appreciation for my Emperors and just wanted to say that.

That is the only thing negative about the Aquaclear Filter always have to restart after power outages. I have learned to place a sponge over the intake to keep sand out especially with Cichlid.

I was having problems with one of my aq 110's stopping and also making noise. Sand substrate. I replaced the impeller and that solved all the issues. For now

I also run both AC 110'S & Marineland Emperor 400's and like both equally as well.
Regarding the Marineland replacement filters, toss them. Stuff the media box with Fluval replacement sponges or mix with bagged ceramic media. The 400's are old School dependable. Wish Marineland still manufactured the Emperor 280s. Mine ran non stop for 22 years.
AC 110'S will usually start up after a power outage as long as the water level of the tank is at or near maximum.

Lately the Aquaclears seem to just...stop. I am constantly having to take them apart to rinse, lubricate, and reset the impellers. They always start up again, but it is a hassle how often this happens.

I often have that problem when doing water changes. It's usually a gunk buildup in the impeller area. Doesn't happen as much since I added pre-filter sponges, but it still happens. Annoying, but not enough to make me switch from Aquaclears.

Back
Top Bottom