HOB for QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was thinking about buying a Penguin 125 for a QT filter. When I didn't need the QT tank, I could add it to my main tank for a little extra filtration. Does this make sense or are sponge filters really the way to go for QT?

I have a little HOB on my 5 1/2-gal QT--as long as there isn't too much flow to overwhelm a sick fish its fine. However, I wouldn't recommend using any equipment from a QT tank on your main tank, since disease or parasites in the QT can easily be transferred to the main tank.

I agree with shawmutt, dont ever use ANY equipment or contents of a QT tank for your main tank. If you want to use a filter system, get a small HOB, nothing too powerful.

One of the things I was hoping to accomplish by moving the HOB back to the main tank was avoiding a cycle on the QT tank. I was thinking that it would provide a nice stable environment for a QT. Do people who use a sponge filter and stick in the back of their main tank for their QT tanks just throw away the sponge filter when they break down their QT?

I keep a small filter running in my main tank to be used in my Q-tank, and I do think it is the best way to go. You have a seeded filter ready and it helps a lot since I do not keep my Q-tank up and running between times.

If I am treating a sick fish in the tank, after treatment is over I sterilize the small filter completely with brand new media and a rinse with a light bleach water solution, then it goes back in one of the big tanks to build bacteria again. Maybe this is reckless, but I have not had a problem yet with this method. The alternative is to just keep the tankup and running and toss some ammonia or fish food in there periodically.

Well, if you want to use it for your main tank, be sure to sterilize very very well, and as TankGirl said, get all new media. But, I still dont reccommend it if you can avoid it. Chances are if you do this, (what TankGirl said) you probably will have no problem, obviously she doesnt, and I think she knows what shes talking about.. Its just not something Id personally do, but maybe I am just anal about those things. Maybe even fill the QT tank with a bleach solution before breaking it down and running the filter in it would be a good idea as well, but never use the same media for the two tanks. Is there really a need for you to tear it down though... why not keep it up and running until you need it again.. because chances are you will at some point, and when that comes, it will already be cycled and such requiring little or no prep other than the meds you put in it. I think its always good to have the QT prepared incase of a situation that will call for it. Just my opinion though, and Im not very smart, so never take my word for things! :fadein:

Don't say you aren't smart, dhs - you understand what might happen and are taking a smart approach. It is a wise thing to keep each tank safe from cross-contamination, so don't sell yourself short! It is one of the many issues in aquarium keeping that has no real right or wrong answer - everyone handles some things in completely different ways, and we do what works for us. That is why I love this board!

Right now I am using one of those old-fashioned box filters - the plastic box that you run with an air stone and filter floss. I have a small amount of ceramic noodles that go in there too, to assist with bacterial colonization and they are very easy to sterilize. I would use a Penguin 125, too, just a bit harder to clean it completely, as dhs mentioned. To me, the benefits of quarrantine are so great (there is a lot to lose if you don't) that whatever means you can use to have a Q-tank can be made to work effectively.

dhs9831- It might be wrong that I did it, but I downloaded an image of Tank Girl from the comic website (the comic is no longer being made) and drew in my own tank and net that she is holding. In the original it was a baseball bat. She was also smoking a cigarette and I erased that, too :wink: I used a program that came with my computer, don't even remember which one, but it was nothing fancy like Photoshop.

Ahh TG you are so bad, Im telling on you right now.... (Just kidding of course) I wont tell... by the way.... I just spoke with a friend from the LFS and asked him what he thought about the whole issue at hand. He said what he has reccommended to some in the past, is if it is a HOB, take it apart and wash it thourghly, exluding the electrical attachment of course, and fill an unused QT with water and bleach solution, after it is washed and disinfected as well, then add a fungus, parasite, and ick medication... drop the whole filter unit, minus the electrical pump attachment, in the water and completely submerge it for a couple days. then take it out and rinse well. After it has dried, swab the inside and out with Isopropyl alcohol, and let it dry for a couple days. Then swab the inside of the pump attachment with the alcohol. It wont harm fish since the alcohol will completely evaporate in a matter of minutes. Then rinse again, and your good to go. I know it sounds like alot just to change the tank you use it in, but I think it is the safest route to go aside from not using it on the main tank at all. Id like to hear opinions from other Aquarium vets about this method...

Good Luck

Dave

Back
Top Bottom