Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2021, 09:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

HOB to Canister filter

Hey im about to switch from a Tidal 55 HOB to a fluval 307 ive currently got matrix in the HOB a bit more than was supplied, firstly what is the best way about going through the switch. Should i just take the media from my HOB and add it to the 307 or should i run them both for a period of time and if so how long?

I will be approx tripling my media capacity i have a little bit of fresh matrix left over ill also have the fluval biomax the filter comes with and i also have some spare aqua one rings. What would people recommend using or should i purchase some more media.

Cheers

Old 07-16-2021, 07:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

You could do either.

Transfering all your media to the new filter should retain all the beneficial bacteria and preserve your cycle.

Running your old filter and new alongside each other for 2 or 3 weeks will give your new filter chance to establish beneficial bacteria of its own while your old filter is still doing its job. Leave enough room to swap the media from your old filter into the new when you take the old one out.

Option 2 is probably safest. Regardless keep an eye on things when you remove the old established filter until you are sure your cycle is OK.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks mate i think im leaning towards option 2 like you mentioned.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken Drum View Post
You could do either.

Transfering all your media to the new filter should retain all the beneficial bacteria and preserve your cycle.

Running your old filter and new alongside each other for 2 or 3 weeks will give your new filter chance to establish beneficial bacteria of its own while your old filter is still doing its job. Leave enough room to swap the media from your old filter into the new when you take the old one out.

Option 2 is probably safest. Regardless keep an eye on things when you remove the old established filter until you are sure your cycle is OK.
Thanks mate i think im leaning towards option 2 like you mentioned

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter, hob

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com