hob vs canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chiclidlover81

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok so levels arent right thinking it is the filter not working correctly so i ask you this......fluval 303 or marineland penguin 350 and if you could try to explain a little bit why thanks again

HOB vs Canister

ok so levels arent right thinking it is the filter not working correctly so i ask you this......fluval 303 or marineland penguin 350 and if you could try to explain a little bit why thanks again

Hello chic...

Maybe you just have a poor filter. HOBs are about a quarter the cost of a canister. I don't think a canister is 4 times better than an HOB. Just me, though. I can't say anything bad about my Hagen AquaClear HOBs. They're very quiet and I can service the filter in about 10 minutes. I've never used a canister, but I don't believe you can service one in 10 minutes.

There's plenty of room in the larger Hagens for media, so that's not an issue. I've had some running for 7 years with no problems, just been into the hobby that long, and I've never needed to replace anything.

Your call. If you've got deep pockets, maybe you'll want to go the canister route.

Just a thought.

B

Canisters aren't that expensive, just don't get the top of the shelf brands. Oddysea makes a nice affordable canister that I've been looking at for a while now. Filtration - Odyssea CFS4 Canister Filter

Not that HOBs are bad, and some people enjoy the running water noise. They are also a little bit easier to do maintenance on, although the newer canisters have gotten pretty simple as well.

As far as your ammonia/nitrite problem goes, it's most likely a cycling issue, getting a new filter is not going to resolve that, building a bigger bacteria colony will.

Back
Top Bottom