Home Depot Gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cd5

Aquarium Advice Activist
At home depot I saw this cheap black slate rock that says it can be used for ponds, would this be alright to put in a freshwater, I don't have the brand name but I can find out later

Interesting thought; i've been all geared up to shop nurseries for slate for my tank, but I suppose something like that would work; I wonder if it's actually slate or something else. . .

Is it in chunks or tiles?

:edit:
LoL - just re-read the subject. . . um. heh yeah.
:/edit:

cJw's right it says gravel :lol: heh ow well
back to the suject ummm i would ask to be able to do a test on it, if its small enough try geting it in water and do a pH, water hardness, acidicy test on it if it dosnt change the water go for it otherwise unless you want it too 8O dont put it in the tank it could kill your fish depending on what types they are.

Stealing is wrong and I don't condone it, but there should be no reason you can't take one piece home to do the acid test as stated above. Just pour some acid, (the stronger the better, but be careful) on the rock. If it fizzes, it will raise your pH over time. A weak acid like vinegar usually works, but you can sometimes miss a few less reactive things.

Back
Top Bottom