Hood or no hood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zparticle

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been busy building a big tank stand and I've been thinking about how to go about adding a hutch on it to hold lights. I was wondering if that might be a bad idea. If I do this then I wouldn't put hoods on the tanks, so the lights shine into them.

I'm not clear on what the purpose of the hood is. Perhaps to keep out dust and minimize evaporation and heat loss?

And keep the livestock in the tank. I have an open top tank with guppies and Betta's - always on the look out for jumpers. I mention this as my blue lobster escaped yesterday afternoon from his tank and had to search the house - found under the computer chair!!

I'm not clear on what the purpose of the hood is. Perhaps to keep out dust and minimize evaporation and heat loss?

You are correct. It can help minimize evaporation, help maintain heat, will help minimize dust and other non desirables from going into the tank, but just as important ... keep those jumping fish inside the tank:D.

And keep the livestock in the tank. I have an open top tank with guppies and Betta's - always on the look out for jumpers. I mention this as my blue lobster escaped yesterday afternoon from his tank and had to search the house - found under the computer chair!!

:ROFLMAO:

Wow, hadn't thought of that!

Keep curious cats out of your tank...

Joking (somewhat) aside, if you end up with hatchetfish in your aquarium, those guys are pretty awesome jumpers. In the wild, I believe they can jump out the water a little trying to feed on flies. Definitely need a hood with those fishies in your tank!

Back
Top Bottom