Hooking up tiered tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KieranKD

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey there! Sorry if this doesn't belong here but basically, I'm super new to fish keeping and I want to invest in industrial kitchen shelves to keep my tanks on. Basically I want each tank on the shelf to be hooked up onto its own filter/heater, with the filters being stored on the bottom shelf. So there'd be 3-4 filter systems stored there that use intake/outtake hoses.

I have a basic idea of what I want but I can't quite seem to imagine how exactly that would work. I'm imagining the hoses would be too short to reach the top tanks; how exactly could I extend a canister's hose to reach that? Does anyone have any pictures of a similar tiered system, or any videos on youtube that show a similar setup? I'm just struggling to imagine such a setup and I think my brain is confusing it more than it needs to be.

I have a 2 tier system I built out of concrete blocks and 2x6. The bottom holds 3 small quarantine/hospital tanks and 2 75g's on top. You can find out the exact id/od of your filter hoses and buy the correct length from the hardware store. Most canister filters won't pump more than about 4 or 5 ft up and still have any decent flow, just fyi. You could build it 2 tier and room behind on the floor for canisters. All my small tanks on the bottom use hob filters

Don't forget to take in account your total water volume (8.34 lbs per gallon)[1 kilo per liter] plus the tank and substrate weight in your shelf calculations

Back
Top Bottom