Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2020, 04:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hooking up tiered tanks?

Hey there! Sorry if this doesn't belong here but basically, I'm super new to fish keeping and I want to invest in industrial kitchen shelves to keep my tanks on. Basically I want each tank on the shelf to be hooked up onto its own filter/heater, with the filters being stored on the bottom shelf. So there'd be 3-4 filter systems stored there that use intake/outtake hoses.

I have a basic idea of what I want but I can't quite seem to imagine how exactly that would work. I'm imagining the hoses would be too short to reach the top tanks; how exactly could I extend a canister's hose to reach that? Does anyone have any pictures of a similar tiered system, or any videos on youtube that show a similar setup? I'm just struggling to imagine such a setup and I think my brain is confusing it more than it needs to be.

Old 10-06-2020, 08:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a 2 tier system I built out of concrete blocks and 2x6. The bottom holds 3 small quarantine/hospital tanks and 2 75g's on top. You can find out the exact id/od of your filter hoses and buy the correct length from the hardware store. Most canister filters won't pump more than about 4 or 5 ft up and still have any decent flow, just fyi. You could build it 2 tier and room behind on the floor for canisters. All my small tanks on the bottom use hob filters

Old 10-06-2020, 08:56 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Don't forget to take in account your total water volume (8.34 lbs per gallon)[1 kilo per liter] plus the tank and substrate weight in your shelf calculations
Old 10-23-2020, 11:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Fascinating topic, guys. I look forward to seeing the topic explored.

Tags
red, tan, tank, tanks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com