How do I connect a gravel vacuum to a garden hose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saradomin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need a connector that will attach my gravel vacuum to the male end of a garden hose. I don't really know what to look for.

Look for a 3/4" male to male nylon barb and hose clamps..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Look for a 3/4" male to male nylon barb and hose clamps..
Given the commonly parts you will probably need a 3/4 inch female hose adapter to <something else> and than <something else> to 5/8 or 1/2 hose barb depending on your particular siphon. But that would make a connection that seems fairly useless on the surface.

I think we could provide better advice if we understood the application. If you are trying to build a DIY water changer you will also need either a pump or a venturi.

Like this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1415055394255.jpg
    1415055394255.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 152
I'm trying to attach a store-bought gravel siphon to a garden hose. I want to drain and vacuum the tank, but I want the water to go outside and not a bucket. It's mostly for convenience.

Top Fin Aquarium Gravel Vacuum | Vacuums | PetSmart

Looks like 1/2" ID tubing but kind of hard to tell from the picture, you would have to measure it. You are probably not going to find a single adapter that goes from female garden hose to 1/2" barb. But you should be able to find two adapters that get you there together.

Most hardware stores cary a barbed to garden fitting of various sizes. Take the tubing in and tell them you need to hook it to a garden hose. If you need it to fill from the garden hose you'll probably a male to female garden adapter too.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

the connection brookster shows is less likely to leak compared to a male/female conection

Thanks for all of your posts. I will look into this further when my Cichlid tank is acquired.

Back
Top Bottom