how do you make a closed loop system?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishmonkey

Aquarium Advice Addict
okay so I want to make a closed loop system WITHOUT DRILLING HOLES. My goal in my aquarium adventure is to minimize equipment in my tank for aesthetic reasons, and so that I dont have a bunch of stuff in the tank taking up space for the fish and stuff. So Im wondering, how do you make this closed loop thing. I think I sort of get the concept: it is a circular system. The water comes out of the tank, goes into a pump, and then is pumped right back into the tank. But how do I do it? By my understanding, all I need is a powerhead and some tubing right? I kinda want to be able to place it underneath the tank in the stand to keep it out of the way. Is that all I need?

Last edited:
The best way to do a closed loop is drill 3 holes in your back glass. One hole (in the middle) is for water intake and the other 2 are returns. You would need a pump that can be run externally and plumb the intake to the center hole and the return to the holes on either side.
I know a few ppl with closed loops and they aren't thrilled with them. Generally, the closed loop pump will use more electricity than a few powerheads plus unlike a powerhead, you can't move the returns to hit any potential dead spots.

Also, you need to make sure your tank is not tempered glass. Temered glass cant be drilled otherwise it shatters. It needs to be acrylic.

If you don't want to drill the tank, you could build an external system that hangs on the back. There would be minimal stuff hanging in the tank just the intake tube really, and that can be painted black or covered up easily. And if you want, you could extend the pipes in the back down to underneath the stand so the pump can be there.

If you don't want to drill the tank, you could build an external system that hangs on the back. There would be minimal stuff hanging in the tank just the intake tube really, and that can be painted black or covered up easily. And if you want, you could extend the pipes in the back down to underneath the stand so the pump can be there.

aka a HOB overflow............

Back
Top Bottom