How does a python cleaner work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,
just wondering how python gravel cleaners work. I saw them on Big Al's and the look interesting. I searched the internet but couldnt seem to find how exactly they work...

I can see that it adds water from your faucet (what about chlorine and water temp). But how does it drain the water?

Any info/experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim.

When you open the plunger on the end of the pump which attaches to the faucet, it sucks water from the tank. When you close it, it sends water to the tank. The green thing that attaches to the faucet has a thing on the end of it where you open and close the nozzel of the pump (plunger). Works slick. There's also a lever by the gravel vac used to cut off the suction or the adding of water to the tank.

Lee's also has a much cheaper version of the Python and works just as good. Look for the Lee's brand name too and compare. I got a Python myself, didn't mind paying more just for the brand name.. :)

I also noticed, after using the Python, my water bill has only gone up about $12.00/2 months on my last bill. :) And that's doing weekly PWC's on my 55G and 26G, 50%-75%.

As for the dechlorinator, just add enough to the tank to treat the whole tank and fill it back up. No need to do anything special. Once I switch the flow of the water, I put in enough Prime to treat 55G, which is about a capful. :)

And one more thing, when filling back up, before you close the plunger, you can adjust the temp of the faucet, then just close the plunger and fill back up. I've been able to do 50%-75% PWC's and change the temp in the tank no more than .5 degrees. It's a wonderful tool. :)

The python is a God-send for anyone who has multiple tanks and/or tanks over 10 gal.

Basically, the T-shaped Python fitting that attaches to the faucet is a water aspirator.
Inside, the running tap water is forced through a cone-shaped constriction. This causes a drop in pressure and creates suction in the side piece that the gravel vac is attached to. The running tap water and siphoned tank water exit through the bottom of the fitting.

If you're interested in the physics involved, here are two links to start at.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venturi_effect
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli's_principle

To refill the tank, you twist the bottom of the Python fitting to seal it shut. Now, the fitting ceases to be a T-shaped water aspirator, and becomes a 90o fitting. Running tap water flows through the side fitting, through the gravel vac, and into the tank.

As Lonewolfblue said, you adjust the water temp by feel at the tap, and dechlorinator is added as the tank is refilling.

The Python is an amazing peice of equipment...I've used one for 10 years now and couldn't imagine trying to do tank maintance without one. I don't know anyone who's serious about their tank that doesn't use one.

If you are on a budget, just an eager DIY-er, you can buy the parts and assemble one of these yourself for less than Python charges.

Go to the local waterbed outlet and look at their acessories. They will have a venturi just like Python's but half as much and not green. It should come with faucet adapters, but I like brass instead of plastic, so I would go to the local hardware and get brass adapters. While there, get a CHEAP 1/2" or 5/8" garden hose (50 footers are common for less than $10). The female end will thread onto the venturi. You can cut off the male end for a tank-friendly simple drain-n-fill. If you want to attach other accessories (vacuum, filter, etc.) you can also keep the male fitting or substitute in a plastic one. Hundreds of fittings out there. Sky's the limit.

I've got a Python with a snap-to-connect faucet coupler intended for a dishwasher setup (about $15, all brass, from the local hardware). Let's me couple and uncouple the python from the faucet w/o having to worry about cross-threading the aerator or finding the strap wrench for "too-tight" situations...

Listen to Lunewolfblue in all things! :D And as far as adjusting the temp before adding the water back in, if you have a removeable thermometer, it is very easy to do. Just note your tank temp., then pop your thermometer out, hold it under your tap, and adjust the temperature of the tap water to get it as close as possible to the tank temp. Once you've got it, reverse your water flow, pour in your water conditioner, and fill 'er up!

bosk1 said:
Listen to Lunewolfblue in all things! :D And as far as adjusting the temp before adding the water back in, if you have a removeable thermometer, it is very easy to do. Just note your tank temp., then pop your thermometer out, hold it under your tap, and adjust the temperature of the tap water to get it as close as possible to the tank temp. Once you've got it, reverse your water flow, pour in your water conditioner, and fill 'er up!

hehehe, I like that, lol.......

My hand is my thermometer. :lol:

If I'm doing maintenance on both tanks, I use my python. But if I'm only doing one on my 26G, I still just do the 5G bucket. Quicker than unravelling a 75' python, doing the pwc, draining the python, and rolling the 75' python back up. Glad I didn't get the 50' one, as where my 55G is, I only have about 3 extra feet of python left. :wink:

Man I got the 25' one and have plenty of slack. You using the neighbor's sink or something? ;)

Going from the kitchen sink to the master bedroom, lol. Master bathroom faucet end isn't removable, and it won't fit.

agreed that DIY python is very doable. I found a "waterbed fill/drain kit" at my hardware store, as well as a 50' garden hose and all the necessary fittings and such for <$30!!!!! Before you buy anything, take a look at your sink threads and assess what you can/will be connecting to.

EDIT: to see some pictures visit
http://www.ernestjohn.com/gallery/v/Aquariums/?g2_page=5
(2nd and 3rd pictures)

CGGorman said:
While there, get a CHEAP 1/2" or 5/8" garden hose (50 footers are common for less than $10).
I thought there was danger of garden hoses being coated with chemicals to repell algae and fungus, and shouldn't be used with an aquarium?

You are correct, dskid. The DIY method is good, but you have to be very careful with the hoses, garden hoses may kill all your fish.

I got my almost new Phyton in a deal with an almost new Eheim filter and cost me almost nothing. It didn't reach the tap so I had to spend the money in some extra hosing, but decided no to take chances and by Phyton extension. JIC!

Great system!

I've ralized how deep my need for a python is since my wrists went bad and couldn't carry more than a gallon at a time. (75 gallon aquarium, constantly maintained 10 gal QT, thinking of adding another 10 gal to system.)

I've been trying to decide if I should just order one or DIY. Started looking into it last week. The biggest thing I'm not sure of is my old kitchen faucet. That snap connect idea appeals to me, if I can get the origional areator off. I might be better off drilling into the basement to connect to the laundry hookup, but then I can't control water temp. (When QT is empty, I can use that to store/preheat cold water, and drip line it down into the display tank, but when QT is occupied, temperature is a bigger issue.)

Anyone have an online supplier of the appropriate plumbing parts? I think this is the wrong season to find pool draining equiptment in the north. If you havn't done it already, it's a bit late.

Another Python question.

A regular siphon doesn't take long to develop disgusting cultures inside of it. I must imagine that a 50' hose is even harder to drain properly. Does anyone worry about this? Any sterilization schedule recomended?

Also are there any issues with the suction power on the 50' hose. I would like to get a python but I would have to have the 50' hose and I'm concerned that there would not be enough suction power to clean my gravel. Can anyone with a 50' python comment on this please?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom